Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blend door actuator was making that clicking noise. I bought a new one from oreilly auto parts and installed it and immediately it started making the same clicking noise. Its like I never even changed it. I know its the actuator making the noise I can put my fingers on it and feel it. Anyone ever had this problem? I am wondering if someone had put their old one in the box and took it back to oreilly .

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Reactions: jso2378

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I know its the actuator making the noise I can put my fingers on it and feel it.
Is this a hot/cold blend door actuator? (Or the one on the recirc?) If it's for the hot/cold, keep in mind, on cars with dual controls, the two doors are mounted on the same shaft (sort of). So if the one on the opposite side is clicking, you could be feeling it on the near side.

Doug

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
My blend door actuator was making that clicking noise. I bought a new one from oreilly auto parts and installed it and immediately it started making the same clicking noise. Its like I never even changed it. I know its the actuator making the noise I can put my fingers on it and feel it. Anyone ever had this problem? I am wondering if someone had put their old one in the box and took it back to oreilly .

After installation of any of the HVAC actuators, they must be calibrated. The dealer uses the Tech-2 device. The home mechanic can disconnect the negative battery terminal for five minutes, then reconnect it. Start the car and do not touch the HVAC controls. The HVAC system will perform a self-calibration which takes about two minutes. During this time you may hear the controls moving and activating if you are seating inside the car.

I would try this first before removing the new part and returning it.

In the future - I would buy a genuine AC Delco part (unless you did.....) instead of an aftermarket part.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try disconnecting the negative cable in the morning and see if it will work. It is the hot cold blend door because my heater will not get warm but the a/c works great. I am not used to the dual controls and something else I have noticed is the dual controls seem to move to freely. There is no resistance at all. It seems to me they should not move up and down with no resistance at all, but like I said I am not familiar with the system.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
They should move freely. The actuator holds it in place in whatever position it is in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just watched a video on vent door actuators and in the video the clicking started when the guy messed with the climate control and would stop when he moved the adjustment. Mine is not like that. On my car when I open a door the clicking starts and last about a minute or two and stops. It only starts clicking when I open a front door.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I got in my car this morning and I could hear the actuators going for a few seconds and stop. It's happened a couple times in the past 2 years, but everything works as intended.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same issue replacing the passenger side heat one. once replaced the clicking noise started again. And apparently it runs on the same "shaft" as the driver side heat actuator. So i ran to the autoparts store and picked up another one and replaced the driver side. All is good now. i opened up the actuators and both had teeth missing from one of the gears (plastic). passenger side had only one tooth missing, so it was going to fail soon anyway. i have replaced 3 out of the 4 actuators in the system thus far.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took the one back out today that I had replaced that was still clicking. I took it back to oreilly's and they exchanged it for a new one. I installed it and now the clicking is gone.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Awesome! Glad to hear the problem is fixed!

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed up. Always sucks when you get a brand new part that is bad!

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts