Impala Forums banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I replaced blend door actuator in my 2012 Impala. Worked for 2 days then started clicking again but real fast, like rapid fire. Called Dorman (manufacturer) and asked for help. I was told that these actuators need to be calibrated and you also need to turn off climate control and disconnect battery before swapping out. If you don't do all that, the part thinks it's out of time and is ruined. I just ordered replacement part. If all this works, I'll update with better details on how to do this.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I replaced blend door actuator in my 2012 Impala. Worked for 2 days then started clicking again but real fast, like rapid fire. Called Dorman (manufacturer) and asked for help. I was told that these actuators need to be calibrated and you also need to turn off climate control and disconnect battery before swapping out. If you don't do all that, the part thinks it's out of time and is ruined. I just ordered replacement part. If all this works, I'll update with better details on how to do this.
Don't buy that explanation. The clicking sound occurs when the HVAC computer is trying to calibrate a worn actuator. The calibration should not damage the new one.

So the new actuator is probably still good. I suspect the sound you're hearing is a different actuator. Keep in mind, in Impalas with two hot/cold knobs, the two hot/cold blend door actuators sit on opposite ends of the same axis. (It's a 2-piece shaft.) For any clicking noise coming from one of those actuators, it is difficult to tell which one is making the noise. For that matter, given all the plastic duct work, the sound travels very well, so it can be easy to mistake one of the other two actuators (vent select, recirc) as well.

If possible, with key on and the clicking in progress, try to adjust some of the HVAC controls to see how that affects the clicking. That helps pinpoint the source.

That is, before replacing the new actuator, try to determine if a different one is bad.

Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks but I am aware of the three actuators and it is definitely the same one. What the manufacturer is telling me is that I did not properly calibrate it which must be done on the initial power up. They are not trying to tell me that calibrating it damaged it. I’m getting a pretty good price on the parts on eBay so I’m not that concerned with having to buy another one. This time I will do it exactly as they said and if it does not work we will have an issue. A little bit of instructions with the part would have been nice but I guess that’s a asking for too much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Second actuator is doing exactly what the first one did even after calibrating it like the manufacturer instructed. This time it only lasted about 5 minutes.This is bullshit. I'm getting tired of screwing with this part. It is a pain in the butt to change.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts