Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Classic-tron
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have been doing some looking, and NO where can i find headlight covers for the 4x6 headlights (the size on my car...) So i was wondering if anyone has ever made their own headlight covers? painted or not! cause i can always paint them black :eek:k3: but idk how this would look, i was just wanting to get an idea! cause i think with all my black accents on the white it would look kinda sharp and would be another unique thing! so i guess my question is does anyone know how to or how i should go about making some that i can remove just as easy as the black-outs you can buy for modern day cars? just an ider! :wink:
thanks guy! :yahoo:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
are they sealed beam?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
What do you think on the spyder projector lights? I was gonna order a set for my toyota, but I blew it up :gaah:

DISREGARD

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I was wondering why they were glowing but not lit :giggle: I hadn't seen any clear ones.

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
My recommendation would be to have them professionally painted. If you want smoked, have them add a light layer of black on the inside of the lens (or outside, whatever works). It will last a heck of a lot longer than cheap plastic and will also look better.

·
Classic-tron
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My recommendation would be to have them professionally painted. If you want smoked, have them add a light layer of black on the inside of the lens (or outside, whatever works). It will last a heck of a lot longer than cheap plastic and will also look better.
pulling apart my lights is OUT of the picture! i'm looking for covers! and as far as painting goes, thats was my plan was if i got them clear was to paint the back side so the black didnt chip! but also i didnt care if they were tinted or painted cause i want them easly removable! ya know?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
DIY project.
Use 1/16 acrylic
bake forr 4 min at 300 degrees.
pull out and press over headlight
trim excess leaving around 1/2 inch lip
smoke them yourself
attatch with velcro to mae removable.

this video shows how to bake and make a mold.

Reactions: 85'Caprice

·
Classic-tron
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DIY project.
Use 1/16 acrylic
bake forr 4 min at 300 degrees.
pull out and press over headlight
trim excess leaving around 1/2 inch lip
smoke them yourself
attatch with velcro to mae removable.

this video shows how to bake and make a mold.
(3) How to build HID projector headlights - YouTube
not what i was looking for, but same idea i was looking for!!:eek:k3: looks like some work, but i kinda think with the square headlights it would be simple! :beer:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
It should be simple, I wish I would have found that video when I had that toyota. Cost should be under $50. Worth a try.
AND you could tint the inside so it wouldn't chip

·
Classic-tron
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah i think it would be pretty simple too! im just confused by what it is he has around the plastic for a border? cause im guessing thats there for him to hold it on!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
That and to keep the acrylic off the oven rack. It looks like just a split wooden frame with the acrylic sandwiched in between held together with wing nuts. As far as the vacuum goes, you shouldn't need since your headlights don't have no bizarre lines or creases in them.

·
Classic-tron
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah thats what i knida figured too! and i figured i could put the headlights on a thin piece of wood so when i make the molding, i could get the full coverage on the sides, then cut to fit! ahhh i wanna try this now! hahaha

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Do it! and make a write up, or better yet start selling them and earn some extra cash in your free time :eek:k3:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Not a problem, glad I might have helped for a change lol

Reactions: 85'Caprice
1 - 20 of 22 Posts