Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am looking to paint my rims gloss black. I was wondering what paint would give me the best results, ALSO has anyone had any experience with the duplicolor shadow paint ? Thanks :beer:

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
Well, a lot of us on the forum are big fan boys of Plastidip (it's easy to use, removable, & durable) and you can get it in flat black, and also get the glossifier (i've never used the glossifier, just the plain black) The prep work for that would include...cleaning the wheels. You can look into other paints, but plastidip is used almost universally on here

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
Dipyourcar.com, watch the videos and it will give you everything you need to know how to dip your wheels gloss black. Also the shadow paint is ok at best. I would rather get the shadow chrome powder coat.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Duplicolor if your going to paint them. Take a scotch-brite pad to them first then, clean with rubbing alcohol and dry them really good. My rims had horrible corrosion and chips so I had to spend quite a bit of time sanding them down. To get an even better finish wet sand after the paint, then clear them. You can also then wet sand again and polish them to add a little protection.

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
He knows about plasti dip. I'm guessing he doesn't want to use though, if he's asking about paint. Duplicolor makes a wheel paint that is supposedly more durable than regular spray paint. Might be good to protect against rock chips and the like.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
If you are painting, the #1 thing is prep-work prep-work prep-work. Get the prep done right and the paint will go on nice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello all Thanks for the help ! I would use plasti dip but Im really stuck on this black chrome Idea

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
Like I said, duplicolor shadow chrome sucks. Get it powder coated you will be a million times happier with that than a spray paint.

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Plasti dip is your easiest and cheapest option. If you don't like it, just peel it off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like I said, duplicolor shadow chrome sucks. Get it powder coated you will be a million times happier with that than a spray paint.
Im thinking about holding off on painting my rims , Ill just polish the crap out of them for now . I think you're right about the powder coat looking a million times better :bang:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I agree but, you also have to have a second set of rims/tires to do so or a second vehicle. A powder coating isn't cheap at all unless you have a buddy that does it, like I do. He told me $50 and any color I want. Just waiting until I get a second set of rims/tires. But, I then will have to do alot of prep work as my rims are painted now. Will prob just bring them to a body shop and have them sandblasted and sanded down to a smooth finish.

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
I guess its where you live, there are a lot of places here that do powder coating in a 1 day turn around. There is a shop here that dismounts the wheels, balances, powder coats and reinstalls for 85 a wheel. Not to bad imo.

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
I guess its where you live, there are a lot of places here that do powder coating in a 1 day turn around. There is a shop here that dismounts the wheels, balances, powder coats and reinstalls for 85 a wheel. Not to bad imo.
Not bad for PC. Personally, I wouldn't pay this when it only costs ~$30 to plasti dip all 4 wheels. ~$70 if you want the glossifier too.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Considering you can get brand new powdercoated rims for $100 each that doesnt seem to be worth it.

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
well if he wanted brand new rims he would get them. obviously he wants to keep his current rims and wants them a different color. :thefinger:

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
He paid less than $80/wheel lol

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ I was just saying powdercoat was obv out of the question as its not worth it.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Why the hell dont you just buy a set of Asantis and quit whining....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts