Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second time that the Link screen has gone black...I was told last time to restart the
car to solve the computer glitch...After many restarts the car, this time thea screen remained black.
On our way to the dealership, a message, see below, appeared. They said it was a computer problem and hopefully would take an hour. After a few cups of coffee, it was ready and washed.
They said if it happens again to call them...Really...lol

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
both of ours have done that... the denali and the impala.. just all the sudden nada... everything is black, and when it does it the gauge cluster goes out as well.. both fixed there self after a few restarts....

makes you wonder how well this stuff will be once warranty is out :(

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
That screenshot looks like it somehow got into the update mode.
Never seen that on ours. Our 13 Malibu would have the MyLink radio lock up a couple of times in the 3 years or so we had it. Had to shut the car off, open the doors then it would be ok again. Our Impala hasn't ever done that so far.

·
Registered
644 Posts
There is software anomaly in the HMI, Human Machine Interface, module. This issue is present in most of GM's vehicles in the 2016 and 2017 model years with the IO5 and IO6 radios. There is a programming update for this issue and many more, see TSB#17-NA-025. For Impaler's Malibu, there is a Radio update for the locking up issue. Both fixes will be by a USB programming event and by using the Techline service programming terminal. These updates will take some time to complete. About 1 hour if the Tech is lucky and 2+ hrs if he/she isn't.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same issue. I have 2016 LTZ which I bought in Sept 2019 with only 8880 miles on it. :)
It was fine yesterday 3/7, but when I got into the car this morning, the screen was black, the info screen was limited on info it showed, no connections (bluetooth, radio, nav, nothing) and I had a check engine light. I checked the fuses, nothing.... I tried getting out, setting the alarm, unlocked, restarting the car... and after a few minutes, that screen you posted appeared (updates waiting). So we disconnected the battery for a few minutes, reconnected, and the only change was the check engine light went off and the update message went away. So I decided to take it around the block. I stuck it in reverse, and with a little static, the rear camera image appeared on the screen. So out of curiosity I called Onstar to see what they could see... nothing. BUT the radio decided to play a little and the only controls I had were on the steering wheel. The screen was still black. SO short story long, I called the dealer and left a message with my service rep and I'm sure he'll set me up with a rental, etc. It's under warranty... thank God! Just before this car I had a 2006 Grand Prix GXP. I traded her in... she was beautiful after 13 years - not a single bump. But she was ready, 148,000. I was praying I didn't have to worry about anything on this newer car for at least the first two years of ownership. Yah. right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2016 Impala LT occasionally has this issue and only occurs when the vehicle is started. The screen just goes black and all of my front radio controls are nonoperational. I can go into reverse and my back-up cam will work perfectly, however when I shift out of reverse the screen goes black again.

I thought it was initially a power problem, so I shut the vehicle off, let the screen on my dash turn off and restarted the vehicle. This worked a few times, but not always. Then I started unhooking the battery to reset the computer. This has worked every time, however it's a PITA to keep doing and not to mention select settings get reset when you do this. Over the last few days it's done it and I just keep driving. The screen typically comes back on, but after inconsistent lengths of time. Yesterday morning it came back on in about 2 minutes. This afternoon it took about 10-12 minutes.

I've got a DTC on for an EVAP issue and I'm planning on taking the car in soon, and I'll probably mention this issue too and see if my radio needs the update mentioned in the TSB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2016 Impala LT occasionally has this issue and only occurs when the vehicle is started. The screen just goes black and all of my front radio controls are nonoperational. I can go into reverse and my back-up cam will work perfectly, however when I shift out of reverse the screen goes black again.

I thought it was initially a power problem, so I shut the vehicle off, let the screen on my dash turn off and restarted the vehicle. This worked a few times, but not always. Then I started unhooking the battery to reset the computer. This has worked every time, however it's a PITA to keep doing and not to mention select settings get reset when you do this. Over the last few days it's done it and I just keep driving. The screen typically comes back on, but after inconsistent lengths of time. Yesterday morning it came back on in about 2 minutes. This afternoon it took about 10-12 minutes.

I've got a DTC on for an EVAP issue and I'm planning on taking the car in soon, and I'll probably mention this issue too and see if my radio needs the update mentioned in the TSB.

Replace the cars amp, after months with this issue I replaced the amp in the in the trunk and the problem has not come back since. For some odd reason they put all of the logic for the radio in that amp along with the all other car sound (onstar, blinker etc).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Replace the cars amp, after months with this issue I replaced the amp in the in the trunk and the problem has not come back since. For some odd reason they put all of the logic for the radio in that amp along with the all other car sound (onstar, blinker etc).
I just had the car into the dealership this past Tuesday and there was an update that was available for the radio. Unfortunately two days afterward the problem came back. All-in-all for two hours of diagnostic testing for the EVAP Code and radio update, it was $288. Unfortunately there was no progress made on the EVAP Code either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Will108020! I work for a Chevrolet dealership. We haven't seen to many issues with the radio screen out but the rear camera working. Your comment helped us redirect our primary focus to the amplifier before messing with the radio head unit. This was exactly our issue.

Some of the Chevrolets are notorious for tail lamps leaking or bad trunk seals. The amplifier is right there near the right rear tail lamp. Thinking back and looking at history, we found we had recently replaced the tail lamp gaskets for water intrusion into the trunk. When the technician removed the amplifier, he found greenie meanie, blue fuzzy on some of the pins. We, fortunately, were able to clean up the pins and put some dielectric grease in the connector and the radio came back to life.

Thank you again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Will108020! I work for a Chevrolet dealership. We haven't seen to many issues with the radio screen out but the rear camera working. Your comment helped us redirect our primary focus to the amplifier before messing with the radio head unit. This was exactly our issue.

Some of the Chevrolets are notorious for tail lamps leaking or bad trunk seals. The amplifier is right there near the right rear tail lamp. Thinking back and looking at history, we found we had recently replaced the tail lamp gaskets for water intrusion into the trunk. When the technician removed the amplifier, he found greenie meanie, blue fuzzy on some of the pins. We, fortunately, were able to clean up the pins and put some dielectric grease in the connector and the radio came back to life.

Thank you again!
If the car is still in have the tech inspect the rear defog as that is the same leak I had as well that caused the defog unit on the same side as the amp to stop working and cause issue with the radio antenna when the defog is on. This may help keep some other issues from being noticed and make for a happier customer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I pulled my amp out yesterday afternoon and didn't find any evidence of any water leaking into that area of the trunk.

I still disconnected all of the harnesses and slapped a healthy amount of dielectric grease on all of the pins. Plugged everything back in and called it a day.

Now to wait to see if I can still get the black screen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any updates Kylelally77?

My 2016's Imapala screen recently went black. No radio, but back up cam works. Day before it died, screen flickered from bump in road, The next day at exact same bump-screen died. (Screen was froze till I got home, then with a car restart it went black. I've disconnected battery, check fuses, reseated the HMI module connectors, disconnected the amp in the trunk.Wiggled on every wire possible. As I'm writing this, I think a good clue is the fact that the screen froze when it first happened, which seems to point toward the HMI module going bad. Thoughts? Also, is the HMI fan temp controlled or always running? Can I just get ebay HMI with same part number and then have dealer program?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I started this thread 3 years ago. And many times since that thread has the screen gone black, including last week on one of the hottest days. I've tried just about every trick out there. There's a guy who claims while the car is running hit the Onstar man sitting button twice and it will reset it. Haven't tried that, it was back on the next day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts