Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm retired Coast Guard living in Northern New York. I have several hobbies, including motorcycles (Harley's) and machining. I have a small machine shop in my garage that I use to make and sell parts for Harley's, mostly parts for carburetors that are either no longer available, or were never available, and pegs, etc. I use all the profits from the sales to purchase more tooling, tools and raw material. I do it as a hobby (I don't need the money to eat, etc), so I'm not looking for a huge profit margin. One of the guys on one of my Harley forums asked me to make a couple of pucks to put in his and his cousins Impala's. He didn't go into details so I did some research and found on this forum that people have been taking out what is called the "home plate" and installing a hockey puck to plug the hole where the "home plate" was in the intake system (photo below). He was looking for something a bit better looking. He asked me to make the "pucks" out of billet aluminum (I ended up using 6061 alloy). I've just put them on Ebay for $35.00, plus $5.25 shipping (the cost of small flat rate mailing effective 02 January). Since HammerDown is allowing me to advertise on this forum, I'd like to offer them to forum members the same "pucks" for $30.00, plus the same shipping (I know it's only $5 difference, but it's better than a stick in the eye). I could bevel the edges, or knurl them, if wanted. I also polish the aluminum to make it look almost like chrome. Below is a photo of the pucks that I made for him.

If you're interested in one, please contact me via my e-mail ([email protected]). Since these are made one at a time, shipping time will depend on demand and workload, along with how much raw material I have. I try to get all my parts out within a week. My work is seriously guaranteed. If you don't like it, I'll refund your money, no questions asked once the part is returned (I'll pay return shipping).

You can see some of the items I make for motorcycles at Harley Upgrades pictures by chengdave2003 - Photobucket .

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Additional

One of the forum members told me that the "puck" will also fit 94-96 Buick Roadmaster sedan and wagon, both used the LT1 engine that was found in the Caprice and Impala...as well as the Cadillac Fleetwood of the same years.

·
Registered
997 Posts
My 96 Caprice 9C1 had one that looked like this, when I bought it in 2006. It looked a little bit different, and I found pay stubs from what sounded like a machine shop he worked for. I assumed he had it made at work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He probably did....I know I didn't as I just started making them.

Dave

My 96 Caprice 9C1 had one that looked like this, when I bought it in 2006. It looked a little bit different, and I found pay stubs from what sounded like a machine shop he worked for. I assumed he had it made at work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Kinney - Yup, everything is good here. I've been making a lot of Harley parts. I'm developing a new air/fuel mixture screw for a Harley Keihin carb. I think I've about got it figured out.

As far as a billet door pull, you'll have to show me what we're talking about. Some work pretty much needs CNC, especially if more than one item is needed. My lathe is fifty years old...no CNC here!!!!

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts