Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a 96 impala ss, i know they come with a 5.7 but i've heard you can put a bigger engine in it. Anyone know what engine it is, or at least what i can do to get the most hp out of it? street legal doesn't matter but I don't want to turn it into a drag racer

·
Registered
52 Posts
The sky is the limit as long as you have money... there's somebody on the Impala forum building a twin turbo 555 inch motor, a few people with big blocks. If you don't wanna spend tens of thousands... do a rebuild of the stock motor with a 383 stroker kit. What'll really make you fast is the selection of heads, cam, and torque converter and gears more so than just more cubes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
what he said ^^^^^. As you already know, the SS only came with the 5.7L. There are tons of mods for the car, anything as simple as a home made cold air intake and exhaust up to full on twin turbo cars. Your best bet, to maintain driveability is to start with cold air intake and exhaust, gears and torque converter next and then a head/cam package. Actually, to start, do a complete tune up, filter and fluid change to make sure everything is running the way it's supposed to. You will find out it adds up fast. Point is, I know of guys running 396's ( stroker) using the LT1 block and I know a guy running a stock block LT1, full weight car. The stock block 350 ci car is pulling down high 11's at the strip and he often drives it approx. 4 hours round trip to get to the track. You don't need a wild, big inch stroker engine to have a fast, daily or regularly driven car.

Sean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts