Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 15" kickers and infinity door speakers so far (first system got stolen so I upgraded). i was wondering what you think the best way to power it is? and amp suggestions? i had a hifonics amp but like i said, never got it in. i have heard that getting a cap for my alternator is best... i was considering a second battery. any ideas?:smile:

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
After talking with a friend in the stereo biz, he suggested Directed amps, most bang for the buck....I run 2, 1 1800 for the subs and 1 1000 for the mids and tweets. Not a bad sound.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm. i appreciate the help. ill look into it. thats one i havent heard of. i was looking into a hifonics amp. i have had a few people suggest these to me. know anything about these?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have 2 15" kickers and infinity door speakers so far (first system got stolen so I upgraded). i was wondering what you think the best way to power it is? and amp suggestions? i had a hifonics amp but like i said, never got it in. i have heard that getting a cap for my alternator is best... i was considering a second battery. any ideas?:smile:
I'm not a professional installer or anything but I have had a few stereo's over the years, and have installed/fixed others' system's if I could. These are my suggestions for you.

1. You get what you pay for, make sure that the amp is of good quality.

2. Make sure that the amp has more power than you are going to need so the amp doesn't have to work as hard to get the volume you want. When looking at an amps' output, look at "RMS" watts, simply means the amps optimal power out-put.

3. Make sure the amp is also Class "D", takes less power from car to operate. They have a little higher distortion rating, but when running subs you shouldn't be able to hear any difference.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask anyother questions, I'm glad to help if I can.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Do you use any ear protection with the 2800 watts of audio power? That is way too much power for my tast:eek:, though I do like the thump of the subs.:cool:

Actually I have never really used it, I turned it up halfway once to drown out some punk in a honda with my "Seek and destroy" song and one other time with my "Ride of the Valkyries" during a younger time in my life when I street raced like a dumbass. Both times knocked off my bowtie thats riveted to the trunk lol. I actually just put the speakers for sale an hour ago, no longer use them....If I need music the other speakers are more than enough.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Actually I have never really used it, I turned it up halfway once to drown out some punk in a honda with my "Seek and destroy" song and one other time with my "Ride of the Valkyries" during a younger time in my life when I street raced like a dumbass. Both times knocked off my bowtie thats riveted to the trunk lol. I actually just put the speakers for sale an hour ago, no longer use them....If I need music the other speakers are more than enough.
I love a good stereo!

I bet that stere friggin Rocked!!!! Competition quality?

Just because you have that much juice doesn't mean that you have to always have it loud.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
I paid alot of money even at cost, used it rarely. had the amps mounted so they could not be seen, the 10 disc changer in one side in a hidden storage compartment and still had enough room for 2 spare tires...full size spares even.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I paid alot of money even at cost, used it rarely. had the amps mounted so they could not be seen, the 10 disc changer in one side in a hidden storage compartment and still had enough room for 2 spare tires...full size spares even.
Did you ever have a dB test on it?

·
Registered
149 Posts
kbaker......just realized that you are also looking for power supply help.

Class D amp is a great way to go, Capacitor is a must (bigger rather smaller), naioa.com discusses "Big 3 upgrade": 2-ground wires on chassis, and run a 4 gauge straight from alt to battery.

Long story short. I had 800watt fosgate amp, bridged, to run 12" Kicker Solobaric, lights dimmed real bad. ((My stupid mistake fried the fosgate, bought a Kicker1000.1 (750.1 supposed to be made to run sub, should have bought 1500.1) ))))) The Kicker makes more power but because it is a Class D amp, my light dimming has virtually ceased (only minor under dash light dim now, very minor). With the power that you are going to need, investing in some charging system help is a must, you shouldn't need a new alt though with the other system helpers avail.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks to both of you for the help. i know i need a class D. ill have to look at a few options when i get a little time. unfortunatly, now i have another problem, my trans is going out. lame...new car or get it rebuilt?

ps you guys are great for putting up with my five million questions :biggrin:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
metallica. classic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Which year L7 15's are they? Anyways end of the day you need a killer amp to power those babies. Theres alot of amps out there that dont really put out what they say. I have owned a directed amp before which went bad on me. I think it was a 1100 watt model. I recommend an at least 1500 to 2000 watt amp for those 15's. Plus 0 Gauge wires are a must for these subs. Good batteries do make a difference. So i recommend a yellow cap Optima and if your really dedicated upgrade your altinator. Never been a fan of Capaciters. Anyways my Rockford Fosgate 1501 bd Mono amp certainly is one of the best amps ever made in the game! Best amp Rockford made and it beats the hell out my 15's

[/IMG]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Directed Electronics makes Orion and PPI. PPI are very powerful amps as well as Rockford Fosgates amps. We normaly tend to replace the battery with a Kinetik Batteries (stay away from optima they are junk), helps with power loss and altenator strain on large stereo systems. In car audio you always get what you pay for. I would definetly recomend a Rockford T-15001bd or a T20001bd, both have more than enough power.

This one is fairly reasonable, and good power.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/prod..._id=105&item_id=107999&locale=en_US&p_status=

This one is the better of the two, but twice the size and price.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/prod...ly_id=22&item_id=95253&locale=en_US&p_status=

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
thanks to both of you for the help. i know i need a class D. ill have to look at a few options when i get a little time. unfortunatly, now i have another problem, my trans is going out. lame...new car or get it rebuilt?

If you like your car spend some money and get it fixed at a place that offers a good length warranty, if not look for something with less miles and a extended warranty......but keep it GM

metallica. classic.

Yes, grew up with it and still like it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Any time, I'm always glad to help. Trans problems are not too expensive to fix, if the car is not having any other issues and you like it, I say Fix It!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts