Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 year/36000miles bumper to bumper on my '17 premier is expiring in 6 months. Only have 20000 miles on this car so far. I barely drive it since work is 1 mile away.

I remember the dealer giving me an offer of spending $1700 to get 6 years/60000miles (from purchase date) with a $100 deductible. Or should I get a warranty from a 3rd party.

Also do i need one for this car?

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is a gamble either way. I can't speak to a specific extended insurance brand/company, but I would personally lean against it given your car and circumstances. Maybe if you had a vehicle with known reliability issues (like almost any Jeep model), then you would have a better case for an extended warranty.
The Impala has an above average reliability, you put on low miles, I believe getting extended warranty costs more the closer you are to the original warranty expiring (not sure of that one), I assume you get regular oil changes and other maintenance, etc....
That said, if you can find a good longer term warranty with a lower mileage cap, then you might be in luck given the low miles you drive. Assuming your life/job circumstances do not change. There is a reason for the expression, "$h!t happens". Which, come to think of it, could also be a good argument for getting the warranty.
So after all of that, I have landed roundly on a suggestion of flipping a coin for your decision.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The GM warranty is good anywhere in the nation - and is handled by GM. The price of GM’s warranty is negotiable, and the dealers make a lot of money on them, if you buy them for the “list price”.

An aftermarket warranty MAY have various restrictions (restricted to certain repair facilities) and you may have a battle with them if they don’t want to cover something. You also run the risk of the aftermarket company going out of business.

When GM entered bankruptcy, the Federal Government stated they would back the GM warranties - not the aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I thought I was buying an extended warranty from GM but turns out it's from a third party. Don't think the salesman explained it well enough.

·
Registered
889 Posts
your short mileage will kill the car but you probably know that . i'm approaching 200K and the only non driver caused repairs have been 1 or 2 hubs, and the transmission. all 4 shocks replaced but pretty sure i caused that. this is a very reliable car, only letting me sit when the battery died. original brakes lasted 100 and 150K respectively and i just love how much more quiet and reliable this was than my SS. but i miss that torque. im the example of a warranty being useless if i had gotten one. total waste of money, nothing i had fixed so far would have been covered. trans went over 100K but still too early in my opinion

·
Registered
298 Posts
We bought an aftermarket extended warranty from the dealership when we got our '08 Impala. We used it twice at the same dealership, so there was no problem with them accepting it. The alternator went bad, and a rear stabilizer link broke while the 100K mile extended warranty was in effect. We lost money on the deal, so when we got the new '15 Impala, I decided against it. Two and a half years past the 36 month factory bumper to bumper, so far so good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts