Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, Hi to everyone! i am new to the forum and new to the impala also. I just bought a 65 Impala ss yesterday in fact :D.

Now to the info, the owner i purchased the car from had an Edelbrock carb on it before he sold it to me. The carb was new so he took it off and put a worn out Holley on it that is all full of issues.

The question, what is the best carburetor to put back on?? it is an automatic... Engine has a Edelbrock 2101 Performer intake on it, headers and a mild cam on it also.

Some are saying go back with a Edelbrock, others or saying go Q-jet. I am not looking for better mileage or performance but rather the both. I know it doesn't get good mileage but 1 better mile to the gallon is better than nothing.

Thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinda feel retarded... I never really thought that my car was a engine or trans number matching vehicle so i have been trying to figure all the codes and what not out. Found out sure enough it isn't a numbers matching. Not even a 396 in fact, but a 1972 truck 402. Makes me sad, wish i knew a way to even figure out if the car orginally a bb.

·
Banned
574 Posts
Then the possibility that the vehicle isn't even a real SS model, (with the SS commanding much higher resale prices), is very high. For a nominal fee, you can track previous owners of the vehicle via its VIN# at your local Department of Motor Vehicles with a Title Search. This will list all previous owners of the vehicle and you can then contact them asking about the history of the car.

If you were sold this vehicle on the premise that it was a real SS model and it actually isn't, that's fraud, is a federal crime and is a very serious offense. I'd recommend you spend a little bit of time and energy researching this and if the vehicle is indeed a fake SS, you should contact your local police department, as you are a victim of fraud.

Sadly, this happens frequently. There are more, "SS", cars running around today than in the 1960's! Don't stand for being ripped off. Take action, get your money back and don't let a criminal get away with this!

·
Banned
574 Posts
So, it is possible to switch the vin plates and what not?
Yes it is, but for a crook to make an, "SS", car all they have to do is slap, "SS", emblems on it and presto, we have a rare, high performance SS car that is worth much more than the standard model!

Again, check with the DMV. Find out about the history of the car and if it's a real SS model or not. If it isn't and it was sold to you as a real SS model, contact the police immediately, as you have been defrauded of your money and someone else will be a victim too if the crook isn't stopped.

·
Banned
574 Posts
By the way, another way you can check the history of the car and whether it is a real SS model or not, is via insurance company records. The DMV Title Search will even tell you which new car dealer the vehicle was sold at, (as long as it was in the same state you reside in), and you can track the cars history that way.

Good luck with it. Keep us posted.

·
Banned
574 Posts
What do i run when i go to the dmv? The vin that is on the car is the same on the title
Ask for a Title Search. You aren't really looking for the Title, but a Title Search lists all the previous owners in that state and then you can contact them inquiring about the history of the car.

The DMV will need the year/make/model and the VIN #.

Explain to them what you are trying to do and that you have suspicions you may have been sold a fraudulent vehicle. They may have other ways they can assist you in checking the vehicles history.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the vin that is on everything including title is 166375Y209611 and the trim tag is
65-16637 BW14046
831B EEA

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
In that case you should have a true SS, just not an all original number matching SS. You can always find what the car came with and find that type of components to drop back into the car.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
As far as a carb , money is your only limit, a new Q-jet isn't cheap, the Holley isn't made for milage, and a new Edelbrock is the easiest to tune and probably falls in-between the other 2 price wise.

·
Banned
574 Posts
As far as a carb , money is your only limit, a new Q-jet isn't cheap, the Holley isn't made for milage, and a new Edelbrock is the easiest to tune and probably falls in-between the other 2 price wise.
A Quadrejet carburetor at a junkyard would be less than $50 and rebuild kit about another $25 or so. Very inexpensive and a great carburetor. Small primaries for good throttle response and fuel economy, with massive secondaries for great wide open throttle power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, i ended up purchasing both a edelbrock 1407 carb, and the 7025220 rochestor carb. So i will see which i like best when they come in and just have a spare for whatever.

Thanks to everyone

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
A Quadrejet carburetor at a junkyard would be less than $50 and rebuild kit about another $25 or so. Very inexpensive and a great carburetor. Small primaries for good throttle response and fuel economy, with massive secondaries for great wide open throttle power.
Not everybody can re-build a quad, ...correctly. Kind of a lost art with these new guy's.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I would hate to try and talk someone through a Q-jet rebuild over the forum....lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts