Impala Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2001 Impala 3.4
First try at the fix the mechanic said it's the AC compressor.
So he replaced it with a by pass pulley, a wheel connected to nothing look like.
Did not work.
Noise comes and goes intermittently for short periods, maybe less frequent than just before the fix, but still very load.

He was rude and i would prefer to go to a new mechanic.
I don't know know if i can go back and get further work free.
I am wondering about the risks of driving short distances over the holidays until a mechanic is free next week.
any insight into causes and fixes appreciated.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
First try at the fix the mechanic said it's the AC compressor.
So he replaced it with a by pass pulley, a wheel connected to nothing look like.
Did not work.
Noise comes and goes intermittently for short periods, maybe less frequent than just before the fix, but still very load.

He was rude and i would prefer to go to a new mechanic.
I don't know know if i can go back and get further work free.
I am wondering about the risks of driving short distances over the holidays until a mechanic is free next week.
any insight into causes and fixes appreciated.

thanks.

It would be helpful to post the year, make, model, trim line and engine.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Thanks, duh! lol

The idler pulley(s) and belt tensioner pulleys often wear and cause continuous or intermittent squealing. They are wear items and cannot be repaired.

I would replace the serpentine belt and the pulleys (held on with 15mm bolts), and use OEM ACDelco units. They are inexpensive and high quality (vs poor quality aftermarket).

When you remove the idler pulley(s) and belt tensioner pulley, look on the back side - you will often see where the grease has leaked from the sealed unit, causing metal wear and the sounds you hear.

The sounds are very difficult to isolate to one pulley, especially if they are all about the same age. After belt removal, you may find one or more of them are “wobbly” - but look and feel tight when the belt is attached.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Initial post mentions "2001 Impala 3.4".....trim and mileage are helpful data as well.

Any other symptoms beyond just the belt squealing? What's the history of the drive belt and belt tensioner? Have they ever been replaced?
Belts were replaced 4 years ago
206 K mileage
i don't know what trim is
AC did not work
heat is slow to work
Temp gauges is erratic shows overheating for a few seconds then goes back down and the car never over heats
there is leak high in the cooling system if i fill coolant full it just leaks out a little but there is always enough to cool it and it does not need to be refilled often, always a minimum remains

·
Registered
2004 Impala LS 3.8L (~130k miles)
285 Posts
Trim is sedan vs. LS vs. SS....I believe the 3.4L implies the standard sedan. 206k miles is relatively high mileage. Seems like there are multiple issues, not just squealing belts. Here are my initial takes:
  • If your mechanic removed the compressor and simply installed a bypass pulley, then your AC will never work. I suppose you were ok with that? If the belt still squeals, then it may need to be replaced along with the belt tensioner. The belt is not very old, BUT if the vehicle was run with a power accessory pulley frozen (e.g., AC), then the belt could be fried.
  • Heat is slow to work: Very often this is caused by low coolant level or air in the cooling system. Ensure that you have sufficient coolant AND that the system is bled completely to remove air.
  • Slow coolant leak: For now you can just add a bit of coolant when needed. But the leak will slowly get worse and will eventually cause big headaches. Could be leaking from lots of places....will need to be diagnosed to find the leak's source.
  • Erratic temp gauges: If it's not really overheating, then this is an issue with the temp sensor, temp gauge, or the harness between. You might want to try electrical contact cleaner on all the associated harness connectors. Sometimes the harness connectors can corrode through time and the higher resistance can play havoc with ECM, BCM, and gauges.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts