Impala Forums banner

Beep! Horn issue.

28K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Hiram1989 
#1 ·
So when we acquired a retired 9C1 07 Impala, we have been trying to search all over Haynes and manuals for horn diagram, or what we need to do to hook it back up, as normally they are spliced in the siren controller for hands free operation.

Anyone could help on this for what I should be looking for?

#2 ·
Take a look in the under hood fuse box and see if the horn relay is there.
See if there is a good 15 amp fuse for the horn relay there.
If that is ok then they may have cut the horn wire (DR Green color) before the horn and had the dr green wire feed the siren.
Most cases there is a 2 way switch on the police car switch gear that would say horn or siren.
You might find that dr green wire in the foot well pass side or up under the pass dash cut. this all depends on what the persons did when installing and removing.

#6 ·
yes removed. My high beams dont' come on.. and horn and lights don't flash with keyfob that i added. doors lock and unlock though.. trunk button doesn't work either. hear a click down near my foot though. I'm pretty happy though, except for horn and highbeam it passed safety inspection in va.

I'm thinking i might just run my own horn wire if needed..

#10 ·
thanks, i'm going to check there tomorrow when it's nice and warm out. also noticed I have no daytime running lights. i hear that might be tied to the hi beam.

so yea i plan to look for the dr green wire in the passenger compartment and see if the DRL relay is good in the power box.

also plan to see if i can find why my trunk release isn't working, i hear a clicking so i think the relay is good.. probably wires cut next to the passenger seat along the door under the moulding.

#11 ·
couldnt' find the green wire.. but i found wires than ran to where the head light strobes went.. so i used one of those (3 wires) and i put the white ot the horn and red to the highbeam on the right and a jumper from the right to the left.. now i just have to run the other end to the wires up near the steering wheel up under the dash. Before i hook them up to the wheel switches, i'll check to see if the fuse block fuses include the switches before the fuse. Anyone know the colors for the horn wire and hi beam wire up under the steering wheel?

#13 ·
I believe you're mistaken.. but you have a point. The horn doesn't have a relay that is replaceable. it is part of the power distribution center circuit board..

But I have a couple of problems.. first i'm going to have to reset the BCM by taking the positive battery terminal off and touching it to the negative for a few seconds...

hopefully that restores the horn and the chirp with the keyfob..

If it doesn't.. then.. I need to see what voltage is going through the steering wheel.
If it's just 12v then i can run it straight to the horn (presuming there's a fuse inline already).. if it's not putting out 12v then I might need to run my own relay so it gets 12v.

#15 ·
I believe you're mistaken.. but you have a point. The horn doesn't have a relay that is replaceable. it is part of the power distribution center circuit board..
.... then.. I need to see what voltage is going through the steering wheel.
If it's just 12v then i can run it straight to the horn (presuming there's a fuse inline already).. if it's not putting out 12v then I might need to run my own relay so it gets 12v.
OK, The relay is not replaceable, but running the horn wire to the steering wheel will not work w/o a relay in the circuit. The steering wheel horn button is a grounding circuit. Is this a 09 Impala we're talking about? If so, this diagram may help. http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=167677
It's the LOW beam that the unlock flashes on mine.

#14 ·
part of my problem is that i don't know if the horn circuit is interrupted
to go to a control box that would switch it from horn to sirens on demand,
and that box isn't present so the line might be interrupted... and i can't find where
so far.

hmmm matter of fact i think the police package is not interrupted between the horn and PCB... so it just might all be programming..

too bad i already cut the horn circuit wire.. i guess i have to run a reconnection jumper wire for the keyfob test.

Anyone know what light flashes when you press lock/unlock with the keyfob, hi or low beam?

#16 · (Edited)
thank you so much! that's very helpful. so glad i checked back before i started working on it. I had not thought of that.

so on that diagram it looks like the wire is dark green that i need to tap into for my relay to ground to the horn...

i'm going to pull the rubber flooring up more towards the middle and see if i can find any more wires.

can anyone tell me if the high beam switch grounds out a relay too?

#20 ·
LOL well i wanted to hurry up and be able to get it through inspection..
so I made my own horn button and ran my own highbeam line, and
ran it to the 12v from the cigarette lighter back side.. but eventually I want
to throw in relays and run it to where tehy belong.

I just installed a hitch now i have to wire that up next.

#21 ·
Hi Danny, I also just purchased a 2007 Impala with the same problems. Horn doesn't work, No daytime running lights, lights don't flash when locked with key fob. No automatic headlights coming on and off at dusk, dome light is not working and my auxiliary outputs are not working. I've been scouring the Internet but haven't found any good answers. Have you had any luck. Thanks

#22 ·
In regards to the lights and horn going off with a press on the key fob, its a setting in the BCM. This setting also disables all interior lights with the doors open. I cannot remember the code (7YC Or something), but it puts the vehicle into surveilance mode for police, and disables the settings from the DIC (Settings on the cluster). Its a simple 5 minute setting that the dealer can do for you (You cannot do it yourself with a regular hand scanner tool), although they charge an hour labor.

#23 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.