Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Yep, expect them to require an hour diagnostic time to confirm its the BCM. Plus they will likely need to replace it, out the door it should be between $450-500.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What if I replace the bcm myself and just need them to program it to my vehicle???

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can I just get a bcm from a graveyard and have them reprogram it to my vehicle? And can the starter be effected by Security mode?

·
Impalaforums.com
3,526 Posts
I would just call your local chevy dealership and ask them.
The BCM out of another car will be programmed to that vehicle.
I dont see why they would not be able to reprogram one to your vehicle but I would call them first to make sure before you go taking stuff apart and buying stuff.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I just got off the phone with the dealer and they said if I just installed a new bcm then they would charge 110 to program it. I've also read that if a install the bcm myself and nice a insert my key in the ignition, the bcm will automatically program itself to the new key.... Is this true?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
If you install it yourself, the car will need to be towed to the dealer because it WILL NOT start, no you cannot get it to no matter what tricks you try with the key, it needs to be programmed. I don't know if you can use a used one or not, I have heard that they are hard programmed to the VIN, but this may not be true.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I decided to just get a remanufactured bcm at autozone, will this be considered kinda like new? I know it still needs to be programmed but should this work to get my car off security mode?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's a good site to buy bcm's at a decent price? Orielys have them for 74 with core deposit... Good deal??

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The diagnostics are the only hard part, the labor is cake.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
00impala123- thanks honestly I would take it to the dealer but I'm one broke dude lol I always try to find the cheapest deal ahaha
Kingnutin- straight up man

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
He has a point though, you could buy the reman for cheaper, but if you have to replace it again, your savings are out the window. They're like $200 at the dealer I think.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The remand have known to be crap too. I know the physical replacement is easy, but the hassle of diagnostics, and towing it to the dealer...IMO if u spend 200 on it, they charge bout 400. If you replace it yourself, after paying a tow and the dealer for the programming, your probably only saving 50 to 80 bucks..just something to consider

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can I just tell them I need my bcm programmed to my car so they don't hit me with the diagnosis charge?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I'm sure if you politely make it clear that's what you want, they'll do it. They can't afford to be turning down business, and it's easy money for them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts