Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a good chance my battery is about to give up . Car has k&n cai. No other mods. 2009 Impala SS. Any suggestions.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
I have used Advance on my last few batteries. They have held up well

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Anything but Delco imo.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Have you drained it stone dead a few times or something? In that climate I would not expect it to be dead yet, but a full discharge is very very hard on them.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
My older Delcos, like yours were fine. Recently though I had two premature failures. 2007 Cadillac and 2009 Chevy. Both failed in less than 24 months. My friend, who is a service advisor at Cadillac, told me that in the last few years, he has seen an increase in early anDelco failures as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
The one from my wife's 03 was still functional up till last summer and something over 175K miles, I replaced it before winter because I figured it had lasted long enough, only lights left on drained once. That said a lot can change between 03 and 09 far as quality of components used.

IMO when battery shopping choose a retailer you like, because if you have a problem they are who you have to go to. I have not bought many batteries but have bought Walmart and Advance Auto stuff and been happy.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have had good luck with the duralast gold batteries. Used three of them in different cars and no trouble.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Thanks guys! I figured as much. I guess when this one goes ill look into a gel battery as a replacement. Spending good money on something that starts your car makes sense to me.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I've had good luck with interstate and exide. Newer delcos don't last, it's true. None of the newer stock batteries seem very good, already replacing them in our 2010 chargers.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Optima has probably had the most QC issues in recent years, I know diehard Optima users that are on the verge of saying "never again".

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
battery

I was right. Tried to start it this evening and no go. Does anything have to reset when I get the new battery in? I still
don't know what to buy.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Nothing to reset, except maybe your clock. Don't buy delco or optima. Die-hard, exide, duralast, and the like are all good.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Harrys SS, I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress! It's great that forum members were able to assist you. I realize you prefer the DIY approach, but please let me know if you ever would like to involve a dealer for service. I'm available via private message and happy to schedule appointments or call the dealer to follow up for you anytime!

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
545 Posts
they are small on these cars.. doesnt take a lot to kill them.. I have a valentine one hard wired in mine, then the phone charger. if you forget to turn them off they drain it dead in a day or so..

Both my old two had them replaced by the dealer. Bad cells? Dealer said there was a run of them with those problems.. This 12 model has died as well, but it was my fault. it snowed one night and took the sububran next day left the stuff on..

I usual run those autozone gold? i think they have a yellow top. Keep the recipet becuase they have like a 3 or 4 year warranty now. The sububran eats them like candy bars.. i get usually a year out of one.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Running the battery down shouldn't ruin it though, maybe if you do it all the time...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Battery

I bought a Gold Autocraft from Advanced Auto Parts. Three year replacement. 84 months prorated. Over 600 CCA. 95 min. reserve power. The problem I had was putting it in. My son and I worked for 45 minutes before giving up. There is an IPS Mortorsports about a minute from us so I had them do it. I just don't have the patiance to do installs anymore.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Getting the battery back in to one of those cars is a bitch, I hate it. There is a certain way you have to finagle the damn things back in, and I have yet to figure it out completely, all I know is I eventually get it.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I just bought a Motomaster Eliminator Ultra from Canadian Tire, because they are $25 off. They are still pricy though, but it's rated at 925 CCA at 0 degrees celcius. It came up to $175 including taxes, but has a 5 year replacement warranty. :eek:k3:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts