Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to start my car last night and the lights got really dim when I did but then they came back to normal, the clock also resets I'm assuming the battery needs to be replaced but then why isnt my battery light coming on? Has anyone had a similar problem or know what wrong with my baby?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
The battery light (actually the alternator NOT working light) usually won't come on as long as the charging system is working properly which yours seems to be. Now the battery not holding the charge does happen. From your description the alternator is trying to charge the battery and it is the battery that has failed. Now do check the battery cables for corrosion for that will stop the electrical flow and make the battery appear to be at fault when it is not. Most auto parts stores can check the battery and charging system for you. If you have a voltmeter you can hook that to the battery and see what the battery voltage is, and once you can start the car (maybe getting someone to boost it for you) then see what the voltage is while the engine is running, should be 13.8-14.2 volts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Genius! Thanks so much! When i took the battery out (which was massive btw and difficult and dirty!) It was leaking battery acid so I replaced it and I'm good to go! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Take a water hose and flush out the battery tray and the compartment area really well to rinse out the acid other wise the acid will rust out the metal that it has come in contact with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts