Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and I posted this same exact question on the wrong thread, So here it goes again, My 96 is going dead after a few days of the car just sitting in the garage. I have done almost everything you can do to fix the problem but I guess I have not nail it down, New battery, Check Alternator, it check out good, new starter, disconnected radio and amps, still going dead, can anyone help???
thanks:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
do you have a multimeter? The best way to check is to see if you have a draw from somewhere. and without getting to technical. I would just unplug the negative battery cable and connect the multimeter between the cable and the terminal on the battery. and one by one pull each fuse and see which ones are causing your battery to go dead. Then check that circuit.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,057 Posts
Put the DVM (multi meter) on amps or miliamp reading. What you are looking for is what is drawing the big power. You will exspect a 50 miliamp or so draw which is for the radio and PCM memory, and that won't kill a battery for several months.

Have you checked the sunvisors for lighted mirrors? Those little light bulbs can kill a battery in two to 3 days.

Another area is to check the wiring harness as it goes through the firewall. Check for frayed wires that could be shorting out.

Don't forget to check the relays, if one is hung up in the activated position with the key switch off that would leave something turned on that should not be.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top