Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't know where to post this because my Impala is a 2017. But basically the battery was bad and I replaced it. New batteries in it right now but it won't start. Headlights and tail lights and interior lights come on but when I press the brake and try to start it all I get is a click. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Update: it now says "engine power is reduced".

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I don't know where to post this because my Impala is a 2017. But basically the battery was bad and I replaced it. New batteries in it right now but it won't start. Headlights and tail lights and interior lights come on but when I press the brake and try to start it all I get is a click. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Update: it now says "engine power is reduced".
There battery is a little tricky to change.

Are you positive you reinstalled the cables and the various connectors correctly?

If so, you may have blown one or more fuses and/or have a bad replacement battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There battery is a little tricky to change.

Are you positive you reinstalled the cables and the various connectors correctly?

If so, you may have blown one or more fuses and/or have a bad replacement battery.
I double checked the fuses and relays and so far it's still giving me the same problem. I'll check the fuses now and update. Which fuses/relays should I check?

·
Registered
2009 Impala SS
1,685 Posts
It's pretty easy to upset the BCM & PCM when you change the battery. Sets all kinds of trouble codes when the voltage is unstable and even more when the voltage completely drops out a handful of times like it will when you swap the battery.
Not a big deal.
Clear the trouble codes and try again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's pretty easy to upset the BCM & PCM when you change the battery. Sets all kinds of trouble codes when the voltage is unstable and even more when the voltage completely drops out a handful of times like it will when you swap the battery.
Not a big deal.
Clear the trouble codes and try again.
I tried to see if there were any trouble codes with my OBD2 scanner but there were no codes. Tested the battery and it came back as good. Changed the starter relay, didn't work. If I take out the PCM and BCM fuses/relays and let it sit for a while will it reset them? Or is that a bad idea? Also I'm not sure if this is something but it feels like the brakes aren't depressing all the way. But it also won't start by using the key fab.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You replaced the battery did you look at the ground cable? Corrosion at the cable ends could be the issue of your no start. You need a good clean connection for starter to work.
I replaced my battery (2018) and then found my ground cable had corrosion at the ground cable (green) due to a small leak at the battery ground post.
I had to replace the ground cable.
HTH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts