Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1970 Impala wit a 350, which battery should I get? I heard the high performance ones will help the enigine crank over better or something like that. I was gonna go 2 Autozone later n check them out. Thank for any help.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I personaly like to go with the highest crank amp I can find that will fit the battery box. Generally mid-grade batterys work very well. High end may work better but not for the cost. If you live up north where it gets below 20 degres above 0 then I would definetly get the highest crank amp you can find. If you live in the southern states then a 560 CCA battery will do fine. The colder the air temp gets the less power the battery has available to use.

I have an Auto Zone mid grade battery with 860 CCA for about 3 years now with no problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is that one of the duralast ones? I live in the Northwest so we're talkin lows maybe upper 20s in the winter time. How much did your battery cost?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Yes it is a Duralast. I paid around $56.00 dollars for mine but again that was 3 years ago.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I wouldnt buy a Duralast anything.....

I use a Sears Die-Hard battery. Something like 1000CC amps. It was $99.99. Works great for me. Has something like an eight year pro-rated warranty.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Sears do sell good batterys. An old joke about the Sears Die-Hard Batterys is that when they die they will die hard with no warning. In fact I have seen this happen twice, one day it would work & then the next it could not even light the dash lamps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
uhhhh

Autozone batteries, Diehard, Interstate are all MADE BY JOHNSON CONTROLS. Oh and Interstate "bought " Optima and now markets them. Not sure who actually does building of them (ie does interstate actually own the factory as their regular batteries are made by above source.).

·
Registered
828 Posts
Autozone batteries, Diehard, Interstate are all MADE BY JOHNSON CONTROLS. Oh and Interstate "bought " Optima and now markets them. Not sure who actually does building of them (ie does interstate actually own the factory as their regular batteries are made by above source.).
Thanks for saying that!

Sears doesn't make fridges, stoves or batteries. They get bids from companies who put their name on them, and it varies from year to year.

Buying the cheapest one is crazy unless it's temporary, and the highest cranking amp one is usually too expensive, so I go in the middle somewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts