Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2003 Impala, and it recently developed an intermittent squeal/screech. The screeching is rhythmic and speeds up with the car's acceleration.

What makes this interesting is that the screeching goes away when I turn and comes back when straight.

Pressing the brakes has no effect on the screeching - it happens with or without them applied.

Lastly, I want to emphasize that the noise it not grinding like most wheel bearing noises. It almost sounds like a belt squeal.

Thanks! Let me know your thoughts and if you need any more information.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2003 Impala, and it recently developed an intermittent squeal/screech. The screeching is rhythmic and speeds up with the car's acceleration.

What makes this interesting is that the screeching goes away when I turn and comes back when straight.

Pressing the brakes has no effect on the screeching - it happens with or without them applied.

Lastly, I want to emphasize that the noise it not grinding like most wheel bearing noises. It almost sounds like a belt squeal.

Thanks! Let me know your thoughts and if you need any more information.
I would jack up the car and inspect the brakes. This sounds like the squealer on the brake pad that's making the noise. When you go around a corner, there may be just enough play in the system (ie, in the caliper, bearing, etc) that the squealer stops rubbing.

If it's not one of the brake squealers (aka sensors) then maybe you picked up a rock that's trapped between the rotor and the vacuum plate behind it.

Regardless, you need to get someone to jack it up and inspect it.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Could be both a hub and the brakes squealing. A bad bearing would definitely contribute to brakes squealing. Would definitely check the hubs and the brakes. Can rock the wheel with each wheel jacked off the ground. Be sure you have the car secure. Rock the wheel up and down, not side to side. Usually I pull the tire off when checking bearings, can sometimes even hear a click in them when rocking the disc when they are bad. You need to check the brakes anyway so may as well pull the tires when checking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts