Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, this is my first time posting here. I’m the only owner of my 2014 Impala LS, it’s my second Impala and I love these cars but I’ve had what’s turned into a HUGE problem due to a bad rocker arm. It really shouldn’t be a major issue, the problem is that GM is not producing the part and according to the rep at GM they have no eta on when they will have any available.
For me this issue was first diagnosed on October 15th of 2019 and it’s been sitting at the dealership waiting on the repair ever since... and now it’s January 2020. After a little bit of googling I’ve seen that other impala owners have had issues getting this part since June of 2019. Everyone I’ve talked to in the automotive industry seems to think that it will end up being a recall but it could be a long time before that actually happens.
Any insight into this issue would be helpful. I would also be interested to know if there are others here who are experiencing the same problem.
Since I can’t seem to get anywhere with GM or the dealership I made a petition on change .org but it won’t let me post the link here. My petition contains a little more info including the part number I’m referring to. Any additional signatures on my petition would be a huge help I wish I could post the link but I can’t, the title of my petition is “Make GM issue a recall for faulty rocker arm in 2014 and 2015 Chevy Impala’s and Malibu’s. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hey, this is my first time posting here. I’m the only owner of my 2014 Impala LS, it’s my second Impala and I love these cars but I’ve had what’s turned into a HUGE problem due to a bad rocker arm. It really shouldn’t be a major issue, the problem is that GM is not producing the part and according to the rep at GM they have no eta on when they will have any available.
For me this issue was first diagnosed on October 15th of 2019 and it’s been sitting at the dealership waiting on the repair ever since... and now it’s January 2020. After a little bit of googling I’ve seen that other impala owners have had issues getting this part since June of 2019. Everyone I’ve talked to in the automotive industry seems to think that it will end up being a recall but it could be a long time before that actually happens.
Any insight into this issue would be helpful. I would also be interested to know if there are others here who are experiencing the same problem.
Since I can’t seem to get anywhere with GM or the dealership I made a petition on change .org but it won’t let me post the link here. My petition contains a little more info including the part number I’m referring to. Any additional signatures on my petition would be a huge help I wish I could post the link but I can’t, the title of my petition is “Make GM issue a recall for faulty rocker arm in 2014 and 2015 Chevy Impala’s and Malibu’s. Thanks!

You may want to contact the corrupt UAW leadership and thank them for calling a strike, and shutting down GM’s part’s operation - which is still affecting people and preventing them from having their GM vehicles repaired.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately this has been an issue even before the strike so although I’m sure it didn’t help matters, it wasn’t caused because of the strike.

·
Registered
253 Posts
MELLING MR1340 2.5 L4
MELLING MR1323 3.6
Don't know what engine you have but these are Melling part numbers from RockAuto,com (either part is <$10 ea.) I'd be tempted to buy them and let the dealer install.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It seems this engine has multiple lobes on the camshafts that allow for more valve lift when more power is needed, and less when not needed when cruising or slowing down. The part that's failing isn't the rocker arm, but the oil control valve that allows the rocker arm to move between the multiple lobes. This valve has an electrical solenoid with 2 coil windings, that can fail. Also, GM has a TSB that warns of some pieces of the valve coming apart and falling into the camshaft area of the head. Ouch! So it's not a good idea to try and keep on driving.

I don't know, did GM discontinue the 2.5l after the 2015 model year? Or did they change to a different system of controlling the rocker arms?

GM shows the part #12633613 has been changed to #19419980, but none are available yet. A parts manager told a friend who has this problem that the government hasn't approved the change yet. With all the problems and changes going on with the EPA, this might take a long time. Hopefully this will lead to a recall, but what does someone do with their Impala or Malibu in the meantime? You know car dealers aren't going to allow much for a trade-in on a car that can hardly be driven.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I did some more research, and found out the engine for 2014-15 was an LKW, which was upgraded from the previous LCV to include variable valve lift on the intake valves. The valve lift at low engine load was 4mm, and 10.5mm at higher engine loads. It looks like they went back to the LCV engine for 2016-19, which didn't have variable valve lift. Instead of fixing the badly designed system, they retro-fitted back to the old.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts