Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*2004 Chevy Impala, LS, V6 3.8L (3800), no SC

Okay along time ago I started getting this loud whining/screeching noise from the engine compartment. Immediately i changed the belt. Didn't solve the problem. Then I changed the tensioner, no change. Then the power steering pump, nothing. SO before i changed anything else, I ran the engine without the drive belt. I was surprised to still hear the screeching noise. Used a stethoscope, and pinpointed the noise in the area of the timing chain cover.

This, in addition to the low oil pressure warning a cleared, heavy oil consumption, and extremely dirty oil from way to often oil changes, lea d me to believe I have a bad oil pump.

Today everything went smoothly until it was time to remove the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley. Which ever you want to call it.

I got the center bolt off using the easy starter method. But the i can not pull the pulley itself off. The crankshaft pulley removing/installer kit i got from the auto store does not seem to be made for this pulley. It does not look like any harmonic balancer i have seen before. it is as if Chevy uses a special service tool to remove it. I have tried with all my might and many different ways to pry this sucker off. But it will not budge. :dunno:

Can anyone tell me a way I can get this thing off tonight. I need to work tomorrow. :bang:

I thought about heating the center with a torch or something...but I am not sure. I am open to all suggestions.

·
Hazardous Materials
23 Posts
there are special shoulder bolts that fit the balancer to remove it..you may need to specifically ask for a 3800 crank pulley set. i have one from otc

:bang:

there are three small bolt holes in the balancer. you can see them if you look through the elongated holes

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
Oilpumps are the best lubed part of the engine so they don't generally "go bad" unless something damages them and then if something does happen to it it does a lot of other damage pretty quickly. Plus even if it was bad that would not make oil consumption go up or make the oil "dirty" as in black it might well make it look like it has glitter in it but not dirty like it was run too long.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i found that out yesterday.

now after putting it all back together...it won't start. it is rotating slowly and will not startup. could this be the starter motor that i just replaced 3 months ago.

i am so screwed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
*2004 Chevy Impala, LS, V6 3.8L (3800), no SC

Okay along time ago I started getting this loud whining/screeching noise from the engine compartment. Immediately i changed the belt. Didn't solve the problem. Then I changed the tensioner, no change. Then the power steering pump, nothing. SO before i changed anything else, I ran the engine without the drive belt. I was surprised to still hear the screeching noise. Used a stethoscope, and pinpointed the noise in the area of the timing chain cover.

This, in addition to the low oil pressure warning a cleared, heavy oil consumption, and extremely dirty oil from way to often oil changes, lea d me to believe I have a bad oil pump.

Today everything went smoothly until it was time to remove the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley. Which ever you want to call it.

I got the center bolt off using the easy starter method. But the i can not pull the pulley itself off. The crankshaft pulley removing/installer kit i got from the auto store does not seem to be made for this pulley. It does not look like any harmonic balancer i have seen before. it is as if Chevy uses a special service tool to remove it. I have tried with all my might and many different ways to pry this sucker off. But it will not budge. :dunno:

Can anyone tell me a way I can get this thing off tonight. I need to work tomorrow. :bang:

I thought about heating the center with a torch or something...but I am not sure. I am open to all suggestions.
Hey there Man When I heard what happen to you. That funny same thing happen to me but I need to change my oil pump. But I'm at the part where you have to take the bolt oghtat pulley bolt off. How did you take the pulley bolt off. Shine some light on me. Any help will be a lot. That thing is tight shut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts