Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
perfect song for this video. the guy eating potato chips ran away like a three year old girl:giggle:

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Sad for the Impala and it's owner but from what I see they did not cause this other than restarting it after they did their job of changing the oil. That fire broke out from the injectors. Though with that much fire I think they should have been smelling fumes for a bit.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ Sorry but, that is not correct. It was a faulty Fuel Pressure Regulator that was leaking on top of the lim. And likely a split/cracked spark plug wire set it off. Lack of preventative maintenance and gm's screw up on the fpr (common issue).

Edit: And yes idiot mechanics that prob smelled it and didn't look for anything. You can tell by their body expression they don't care about their job. Then leaving the car running, yeah that's smart! Not to mention using compressed co2 on a warm engine (maybe it wasn't, idk). If the engine was warm I guarantee they have a cracked uim, lim, or heads, now. Should have used room temp water. But, who is really thinking about that when you have an engine engulfed in flames?

This was NOT the mechanics fault but, I still wouldn't let these idiots work on my car anyways

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
The extinguisher used was an ABC class dry powder unit. Great at putting out the fire but bad if you don't wash the engine bay off really good before repairs and restarting the motor. If the powder is left on the motor it could cause more damage than the fire did.

I may be wrong but I don't think the car started since the DRL's went off a second before the fire and came back on after the wiring harness got a bit burned up and the fire was put out.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
This was NOT the mechanics fault but, I still wouldn't let these idiots work on my car anyways
Agreed. I have only let the dealership change the oil in my van once and though it was a good price I have not and will not use them again. When I pay for a oil filter lube I expect to have all of that done and not be told that today's suspension joints don't need to be lubed.

And it is amazing that I can change my own oil and lube all 10 grease certs faster on two vehicles than they can on one.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my favorite part of this video was at 11 seconds into it. after the guy puts the oil cap on he does a gesture like he playing air guitar or hes elvis presley or something:biggrin:i think thats what started the fire:giggle:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mechanics

I always tell people. If your not going to do it yourself ( which you should ) If you find a good mechanic keep him or her. Give them a tip every now and then. Be patient if they make a mistake, we all do at one time or another. We had 10 techs at Harley Davidson. I was the only Master Tech. Out of us 10, you really only wanted 2.5 of us working on your bike. Same goes for the shops. ASE on the side of the building means NOTHING. That could mean they have 1. That person could have left. And just because they passed the test does not make them good. I have worked around ASE mechanics, and I have been around what is known in the Harley world as a Master of Technologies person. That is the highest you can acheive. And I have to tell you I don't know how he made it. Must have cheated or something. Anyway find a good mechanic if you use one, and hang on to them.

Jeff

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ 2nd that! Just because someone is ASE certified doesn't mean anything. Most skimp corners and do the bare minimum. It's always best to diy! It may take more time and frustration but, the satisfaction can't be beat!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I think its low on blinker fluid, or the muffler bearing went bad...

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ Yup it's the muffler bearing guaranteed 100%. Job gets done, nope it's the.... Nevermind its the...

Suckers are born every minute :eek:k3:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
^^ Yup it's the muffler bearing guaranteed 100%. Job gets done, nope it's the.... Nevermind its the...

Suckers are born every minute :eek:k3:
:giggle: :lol: walmart lube special

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
^^ Sorry but, that is not correct. It was a faulty Fuel Pressure Regulator that was leaking on top of the lim. And likely a split/cracked spark plug wire set it off. Lack of preventative maintenance and gm's screw up on the fpr (common issue).

Edit: And yes idiot mechanics that prob smelled it and didn't look for anything. You can tell by their body expression they don't care about their job. Then leaving the car running, yeah that's smart! Not to mention using compressed co2 on a warm engine (maybe it wasn't, idk). If the engine was warm I guarantee they have a cracked uim, lim, or heads, now. Should have used room temp water. But, who is really thinking about that when you have an engine engulfed in flames?

X2. Very common issue with GM 3.8's. The fuel was probably leaking so bad (and this can happen at any moment) that it filled the intake with fuel and the engine backfired on startup and CABOOM!! For the fire recall GM should have recalled the fuel pressure regulators instead of removing the front spark plug wire bracket and replacing it with clips.
Anyone with half a mind can pass the ASE exams. They are a complete JOKE!:biggrin: If you are going to take your car somwhere to get an oil change, take it to someone you or somone else you know trusts. Not total buffons like these.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I have 3 customers that will call me to do their oil changes even though I charge more than an oil change place does. I don't know how many hundreds of oil changes I have done or even tire/wheel removal to change brakes and reinstall and never ever stripped a drain plug or wheel stud.

And on that note I wonder how many people get charged for a new drain plug when they don't even need it.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
There are many things GM should have done and recalled :eek:k3: But, what auto company wants to spend crap loads of money on their own mistakes, right? Chances are if GM started recalling all these parts/problems the part's would go on a nationwide backorder as many Gm parts have in the past.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts