Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

After taking care of all of the major problems with my Impala (LIMS for example), I've started to work on the smaller problems (rust, slight rough idle, etc).

I recently purchased the OBDPros USB scan tool. I decided on this one mainly because of the double buffering and firmware upgrade capability.. so I can keep it for a long time and still use it with newer vehicles.

My car has had this.. "whistling" sound when idling, it slightly changes with RPM, but I can't hear it when driving - it's probably drowned out. I also can't seem to hear it from the engine bay, which may also be because it'd being drowned out. I know there's a TSB on this sound, which describes how it is likely due to porosity in throttle body. I don't think porosity in the throttle body would cause what I found out below:

So... arrive the scan tool. At idle, my Short Term Fuel Trim ranges from 0-3, and my Long Term Fuel Trim stays around -14.1. Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure stays around 10.3 inHg, MAF stays around 0.54 lb/min, Ignition Timing Advance for cylinder #1 stays between 19-20. Idle RPM ranges from 650-740. When I say my car has a rough idle, I don't mean the engine sounds rough or the car shakes badly. But, the car shakes every 2 seconds. It's hard to describe but doesn't seem normal. Based on what I've been reading and the scan data I have.. it seems like I have a vacuum leak (MAP at 10.3 idle?), and the car is running rich ((Well, before being corrected by the FTs) LTFT at idle being -14) but I could be wrong.

Here is some data I graphed of a short drive:

I just have a feeling it could be the EGR valve based on what I've read.. but I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas. LIMS have already been changed and this whistling/"rough idle" was occurring before that.

Thanks and sorry if something like this has already been posted that I missed :).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I hate to bump.. but does anyone think I have a vacuum leak of some kind, and if so should I worry about it/any ideas where it might be?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I was going to say it sounds like a possible vacuum leak... 9 times out of 10 i think the EGR would throw a code?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So any ideas for what I should check? Maybe I could record the "whistling" sound I'm talking about..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts