Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

I can't believe it......In my 08' Impala SS my car battery took a dump AGAIN:bang:

What is it with these GM batteries??? I've had to replace my battery practically once per year:bang:

Guys/Gals help me am I just not driving this car enough per day?:dizzy: I know the dealership replaced it free for me all this time but how long will this go on?

Durango

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is your altenator charging good? check the body ground wire and make sure its not corroded.
lugs,

The last time it went dead I noticed the terminals was heavily corroded. I was shocked to say the least cuz that battery was installed by the dealership. I then took it to my brothers Cadillac dealership that services all GM products/cars as well. To my surprise this morning I couldn't get the doors to open and now because I was stupid and inserted the keys and turned it and the panel didn't even light up. My car keys are now stuck in the ignition.:bang: What a bad bummer for me!

Anyway I'm off to the local parts store (PEP BOYS) to buy a BIG battery booster in the hopes I can get this car started myself and head off to get another one.:hope: This would now be my third battery since bought new in 09'. That means 3 batteries in 3 years. What up with this car. It eats batteries for breakfast:dizzy:

Durango

·
Registered
649 Posts
A battery a year. That is a bit unusual, even for a GM battery. Maybe check for any parasitic draws that are draining the battery dead?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A battery a year. That is a bit unusual, even for a GM battery. Maybe check for any parasitic draws that are draining the battery dead?
Bart77,

Using the battery booster I just bought it is my serious hope of getting it started on my own instead of calling AAA for help. It has 900 cranking amps
so this should do the trick as the battery is pretty tiny for such an engine that's 5.3 liters of V-8 power.:hope:

If I'm successful I'll get it to the dealership and get a mechanic to look into it really good. I wonder if my alternator simply isn't working? Funny too I never see the alternator light show up on my dash in any way? I just leave the car by itself for a lousey two days and the battery goes south:bang:

Anyway guys/gals have a wonderful holiiday and cross your fingers on my behalf early wednesday morning:hope:

Durango

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
My concern is that the alternator is overcharging the battery. Overcharge can destroy battery's fast. That said, when the battery is serviced and good, take off your positive cable, put a multimeter inline between the battery and positive cable and check for a draw. If there is anything pull your fuses one by one until there is no draw. You will find the culprit!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My concern is that the alternator is overcharging the battery. Overcharge can destroy battery's fast. That said, when the battery is serviced and good, take off your positive cable, put a multimeter inline between the battery and positive cable and check for a draw. If there is anything pull your fuses one by one until there is no draw. You will find the culprit!
auntjemima,

I hope the dealership know how to do that. On Wednesday I'm going to try and get it started using the battery booster I just bought. Do you think the cranking amps will do the trick??? It's rated at 900 cranking amps.

Durango

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely. You likely wouldn't have much problem even with one rated at 200 CCA.
auntjemima,

Thank you for your quick reply even during the holiday season:yahoo:

This booster is rated 900 amps and had to give away my old one cuz last year when this issue occured (second time) the old booster was rate around 750 amps or something like that and when I got the key turned it wouldn't even turn over the starter! Now this oone is rated at 900 and so that's why I'm hoping this new battery boostr will turn over the motor.

If anyone has an SS model of the 08' year and had this same situation please chime in. Currently the booster is getting it's initial 30 hour charge and so tomorrow morning my brother and I will try and start it. If I'm successful I'll bolt to the dealership and take this matter up with them right away.

What a bummer:gaah: Three batteries in three years this is just too much:bang: Of course it had to happen now:gaah:

Durango

·
Super Moderator
10,785 Posts
I agree , probably overcharging.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
ac delco batterys are not the best by far. I had three in 4 years fail.
Was thinking it was to many short trips with all acc on and a f in comand start is what is my problem.
You may have a alternator that is overcharging the battery or the style of driving or a drain on the battery from an acc stock or add on, or there is a screwed starter.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ac delco batterys are not the best by far. I had three in 4 years fail.
Was thinking it was to many short trips with all acc on and a f in comand start is what is my problem.
You may have a alternator that is overcharging the battery or the style of driving or a drain on the battery from an acc stock or add on, or there is a screwed starter.

Happy Holidays to you and thank you for responding to my delima during this time:eek:k3: Last year when I had the second battery replaced the dealership had to replace both battery cable along with a new battery so my car was in the shop for three days.

Assuming the battery is just dead and the battery posts aren't corroded once again then I guess I just have ask them about some sort of electrical problem that might be the cause. Perhaps it is the alternator. In either case as soon as I get it back I'm gonna take it for a good drive just to get the charge back up. I can only guess the dealership thought it might be an over charging issue and checked the alernator.

The battery itself is a tiny thing as the V-8 engine takes up alloot of space. Unfortunatly for me it's tucked under the fender and right under some support beam so how the dealership handles the repair your guess is as good as mine. If I tried it myself it would be a night mare.

Anyway it's up the GM/dealership to take care of me and that's what I intend them to do. So far all the replacements have been free including some sort of plastic gear that broke in my air conditioning system earlier this year.

Durango

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I have a friend with a 06 SS and he has no problems with his car.
I would talk to the tech and ask if he could check the charge and start systems for you.
You would think that gm should though in a free battery charger with all the new cars if the batterys were this poor.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a friend with a 06 SS and he has no problems with his car.
I would talk to the tech and ask if he could check the charge and start systems for you.
You would think that gm should though in a free battery charger with all the new cars if the batterys were this poor.

Let's see what happens tomorrow. I don't want to interrupt anyone nice holiday time. If the battery starts then fine with me and half of my headache is over...the rest is up to the dealership. All I know now is the battery is dead as a door knob. Heck the instrument panel doesn't light up and my biggest issue GM has to correct is that this car is heavily dependent on the car battery and nothing works. I can't even turn the key/ignition to remove it!:yikes:

Durango

·
Banned
667 Posts

Let's see what happens tomorrow. I don't want to interrupt anyone nice holiday time. If the battery starts then fine with me and half of my headache is over...the rest is up to the dealership. All I know now is the battery is dead as a door knob. Heck the instrument panel doesn't light up and my biggest issue GM has to correct is that this car is heavily dependent on the car battery and nothing works. I can't even turn the key/ignition to remove it!:yikes:

Durango
all GM cars are like that

My grandpa had his die on him on his Cadillac XLR , they said he does not drive it enough , it only has 29k miles not too bad for a 04..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
all GM cars are like that

My grandpa had his die on him on his Cadillac XLR , they said he does not drive it enough , it only has 29k miles not too bad for a 04..
Anonymous,

My driving habits I feel isn't any different than any other person so I hope they won't necessarily give me that excuse. I'll find out this morning if the terminal posts are corroded again and if so they should know something else is wrong!

I'll kep you all informed later on today. First breakfast and then my brother will help my get this ting started. Just bought a new battery booster so it better work:gaah::hope::bang:

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I look forward to your updates whenever you get the chance, Durango, although I'm so sorry to see your concerns have persisted. As always, don't hesitate to contact me for further assistance! I'm always happy to contact your dealer to follow up on your behalf.

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I look forward to your updates whenever you get the chance, Durango, although I'm so sorry to see your concerns have persisted. As always, don't hesitate to contact me for further assistance! I'm always happy to contact your dealer to follow up on your behalf.

Katie
Katie,

Thank you for your interst regarding my odd battery concerns. OK here's what happened. I was able to junp start my Impala by myself without calling AAA. It started up right away so I'm happy for that. The terminal posts were clean and had not one spec of any corrosion at all.

The dealership took the car in and during my 5 hour wait time they did an electrical diagnostic and found nothing wrong with the alternators performance. They did say it was to GM spec but they did admit for some reason the battery was completly dead so since nothing appeared wrong (including the car battery) they re-charged the battery to it's fullest capacity.
Due to this I had to pay $140 dollars for the diagnostic.

I actually thought they were just going to replace the battery at a no charge on GM's warranty and sent me on my way but no joy. In either case since it's December I need to pay much more attention to the batteries condition and perhaps from now on have the dealership put the battery on their charging unit so I don't get stuck in an embarrassing situation.

I guess for now the story comes to an end:hope:

Durango

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Thanks very much for the prompt update, Durango! I'll document your feedback, and please do let me know if your situation changes or if you would like me to work with your dealership to follow up on any lingering questions for you.

Best,

Katie

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Katie,

Thank you so much for your offer and interest in my delima. I'm so glad I have a representation from GM on my side.

Currently I want to experiment with this issue and see if it's actually my driving habits. Since the battery is now fully charged I figure nothing should happen until the ladder part of 2013. Perhaps it is my driving habits after all but then again since my dealer service rep says since I use the car every day except for the weekends my 20 mile trip to work and home should be sufficient to keep the battery charged.

For give from asking but I wonder if I'm going about this the wrong way. Can you ask one of your electrical engineers what is the actual charge rate from the alternator required to keep the battery on my SS from falling down? Can you ask him/her if 20 miles per day is good enough? I don't mind driving his car on the highway for an hour and a half or so once per month. It has to be a planned drive/trip so if you can do that I greatly appreciate this.

Durango

1 - 20 of 33 Posts