Impala Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
So common on most late model engines as they come prefilled with todays oils that don't allow the rings to seat properly and excessive oil consumption is the result. What we see here (constantly have all the GM V6's and V8's in here being rebuilt, etc.) is they are run low on oil as most are not checking oil levels regularly and all it takes is running low for a while and have the oil pickup suck air and the bearings scour from starvation.

Can be prevented with proper break-in oil when new for the first 500 miles and driving it hard enough for the rings to seat properly in that critical first 100-500 miles before the cylinder walls glaze and the cross-hatch can no longer wear in the rings for proper seal.

After 40-50k miles not a lot can be done but re-ring and rebuild if damage to the crank bearings and journals.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If I am not mistaken, '06 through '08 3.9 liter V6 engines had the AFM system (active fuel management = selective cylinder deactivation). Engines with the AFM system use different lifters and those lifters are notorious for going bad on some AFM engines and cuasing excessive oil consumption. In 2009 they dropped the AFM on this engine. My '09 LTZ has a non-AFM engine, it has been a good car, no problems with the engine at all. I change oil every 3k miles, have almost 60k miles on the car right now. I changed the transmission filter and fluid (no flush) at 45k miles. I use Castrol GTX 5W30 mineral oil and A/C oil filters. Dxron IV fluid for the transmission and GM transmission filter.

The resale value of my car is dropping like a rock so I will probably drive it until it quits. I hardly expect to get 340k miles out of it like I got out of Mazda 626 (and it was running great at that mileage when I got rid of it) but it should last at least 200k miles for the engine, maybe 150k for the transmission with proper maintenance. I think careful maintenance is the key. This push rod engine is a lot less likely to get damaged than my Mazda 626 DOHC V6 4 cam engine was if it was starved of oil.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You are correct. That is also a very well known issue with the DOD/VVT/AFM engines.

Any premature wear in the lifter bore or lifters and there are issues. Mostly I believe with those going 10k plus miles between changes and running the inferior DEXOS rated blend oils.

·
Registered
412 Posts
07-08 3.9s were AFM equipped, 06s weren't.

Weren't we just having an oil discussion on this forum a few weeks ago and someone claimed that there's hardly engine failures in modern engines with modern anything oil and filter?

Good luck to the OP, very unfortunate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Valve Seat

Had an engine replaced at a Chevy dealership in my 2008 Chevy Impala. It was warrantied for 3 years, 100k miles. A month after the engine was replaced, it left me stranded after breaking down in the middle of rush hour traffic. It was towed back to the Chevy dealership that installed the new engine, yet there was never an issue diagnosed. I was given the car back, told nothing was wrong and sent on my way. Fast forward three years while I'm driving down the road minding my business and the car breaks down. After two weeks, Chevy has finally diagnosed the issue. A Valve Seat has fallen off and into the engine. Because it was destroyed by a piston, I need another new engine. This was a mechanical issue and through no fault of my own. Funny thing is, the warranty was 22 days out and therefore I'm being told it is up to me to pay for the new engine. This problem started long before it broke down, I did what I was supposed to as a customer and took it back several times knowing that it just wasn't driving right and yet I have to shell out 5k dollars for an issue I DID NOT CAUSE. This was a faulty GM product. I feel as though they should be responsible for it. GM should be standing behind their products, their customers and their cars.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear about your engine failing alilama. Unfortunately, GM doesn't like standing behind their products.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my 3.9 issues

I have a 3.9L in my 06 LTZ. It is on it's second head gasket (always weeping, never blown). It leaks, or consumes oil, mostly leaks it(EVERYTHING is wet underneath when it comes to oil changes). i keep coolant in the trunk to top it off just in case but never really had to more than once or twice. other than that it has been durable, just have to stay on top of oil level. 135k on mine now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
3.9 ltz

I have a 2009 LTZ and I've taken very great care of my baby. Only issues I've had was a throttle body replacement and lower engine mount, until the other day my timing chain skipped a few sprockets on me. I purchased my car used in 2010 with 23,000 miles on it. it finally died last week with a little over 300,000 miles on it.

For those that are eating a lot of oil and you notice you have a leak. I would check the oil pressure sensor. I had the same issue a while back replaced that and it was fine. It leaking was actually the reason why I had to change the engine mount. It was leaking on the mount and damaged the mount. Every time I would put the car in gear you could actually feel and see the mount move. I replaced it myself and the part was less than 30.00.

Plan on replacing my engine sometime in the next two weeks. I been looking online a new one cost around $3,000 and I can get a used one with about 50.000 miles for around $1,000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
3.9L 2008 Chevy Implala LTZ

I have owned this vehicle since 2003. It has only 85,000 miles. I am experiencing alot of grabbing in the transmission and hestitation and dropping of power when in gear. I have maintained it well. I took it to get the PCM ran and it reads No Codes. I am at a loss and quite unhappy with Chevrolet making an engine and transmission that cannot not even go 100,000 miles without experiencing problems of this nature. I will not by a Chevy vehicle in the future and recommend tto everyone on social media to please not buy these vehicles for your own sake. Truly disappointed in West Des Moines, Iowa. Thank You.

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
1st.
Welcome to the forum even if it was to come here and relate your dipleasure with GM. Your frustrated I get it. Transmission repairs are expensive. I
2nd.
It's unlikely that your 2003 impala has a 3.9L engine. To my knowledge they were offered in 2006 and on
3rd.
Was your transmission ever serviced as per the owners manual. Fluid change filter change etc?
The complaints you speak of can all be caused by issues within the transmission.

To condemn the entire vehicle and the manufacturer for something that may have a bad solenoid, or some internal part that failed seems a bit harsh.

Good luck in your search for a "failure free" vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have an 2006 impala with the 3.9 ze motor and had a know after breaking down the top i come to find that the number three piston was cracked in half right now deciding if i want to go further and replace the piston or find a short block to put back together

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
Does anybody know why I can not buy a camshaft for 3.9 impala

That's a very good question. I did not spend a lot of time but I did spend some time looking at various places including GM Parts on line and no camshafts available.
The 5.3 is, and all the components that fit on the 3.9, rockers, actuators, etc etc.

Not sure

There are a couple of GM Techs on here. Perhaps one of them knows.
Even checked with Summit Racing, Crower, etc. Nada.

Weird.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I have not been on here in a long time but my Impala which I have owned for just over a year had broken down the other night. The engine stalled out on me and would not restart. It was towed to a dealership. They got the car started but tell me it has a bad knock. It looks as though I will need the engine replaced. The mechanic that would be doing the swap says he was very surprised by this and had never seen this happen with the 3.9L. Especially since this car has only 58000 on it. I just wanted to share my sad story and maybe anyone else on here who may have had a similar problem.
I had same problem with a G6 3.9,stalled out and wouldn't start, only mine stacked the rod bearing! Mechanic was amazed how clean the motor was...only had 120,000

21 - 35 of 35 Posts