Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have not been on here in a long time but my Impala which I have owned for just over a year had broken down the other night. The engine stalled out on me and would not restart. It was towed to a dealership. They got the car started but tell me it has a bad knock. It looks as though I will need the engine replaced. The mechanic that would be doing the swap says he was very surprised by this and had never seen this happen with the 3.9L. Especially since this car has only 58000 on it. I just wanted to share my sad story and maybe anyone else on here who may have had a similar problem.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Eric06LTZ,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern with your engine. I would like to look into this further. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and the name of your GM dealership.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
378 Posts
What's the oil-use/oil-level history of your 3.9?
Had you been diligent about checking the oil?

I've got an oil-burning 3.9L !!
(2008 LTZ AFM)

Faron

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
That sux

Perhaps GM will step up ,,,,,,,,,,,,, perhaps

Let us know how it plays out Eric
Not a chance that GM will help in this case. My wife had a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am V6 that she bought new - the engine went @ 19k, but the car was just past the 36-month warranty limit - even after providing all maintenance receipts (oil changes mainly), GM wouldn't budge and completely left us hanging.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had bought the car with just over 40k miles.It was from a Ford dealership, only came with a basic 60 day warranty. I had not one single problem with the car until this happened. I always change my oil and filter between 4-5k miles. I used a Delco filter and the recommended 5W-30 oil. The car never leaked a drop or burned any oil. I periodically check the oil level and never found any loss. Again, this came as a complete surprise. There was no prior symptoms up until things went wrong. Yesterday it was finally checked out at the dealership and they did confirm it had a double knock from underneath. Even the mechanic was puzzled as to how this went wrong. There was no metal fragments in the oil when the checked it. Personally I feel that there had to be a defect of some sort somewhere. I do plan on contacting Chevrolet about this. I going to have a new GM rebuilt motor installed that has a warranty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
this is very similar to what happened to me, (89,000 miles) no warning blew a head gasket, the motor is not knocking but does make a terrible racket (serious miss) seems to be in the top of the motor , water in the oil too, blowing water out the exhaust, didnt even have a chance to change the oil yet, just bought the vehicle at dealer with a clean carfax

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I have an 06 LTZ with 72 000 kms. I thought that the 3.9L was a very strong and durable engine. This is really strange. Engine replacement at only 58 000 kms? I've heard that this engine is practically bulletproof.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Depends on the year - from what I can tell, the 5 yr./100k powertrain warranty started with the 2007 model year. 2006 shows 3 yr/36k for powertrain... Bases on the OP's name, I'm assuming he has an 06....

·
Registered
32 Posts
^^Just curious - was yours a 3.9L as well?

yep, babied the car,

(motor was allways strong and ran flawless), temperature was 90+ that day pullin away from a stop sign ( a miss and all she wrote) barely got it running after pulling over and shot puddles of water out the exhaust, makes a strange noise almost as if it droped a valve - grinding noise or timing chain ( a search I did a guy had one that a valve seat came out on a cylinder head 3.9 also) shame, p.s. mine car looks identical to yours, I like the car and have found an 08 LZ9 motor with 11,500 miles

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have an 06 LTZ with 72 000 kms. I thought that the 3.9L was a very strong and durable engine. This is really strange. Engine replacement at only 58 000 kms? I've heard that this engine is practically bulletproof.
Same here I have a 3.9 and I thought the motor was bulletproof. I never had any problems with the motor, it does burn a good amount of oil. I check it almost every week. It's getting kind of low now I have a oil change due in about 600 miles. Just when I thought the tranny was the only thing to worry about in these car's. :bang:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had doubts about the motor since it was the first year for it. But I got used to the power and I liked it. It ran fine and never burned any oil. But it went. Again, it just had to be bad luck there was some defect of some sort somewheres. These things shouldn't just go without warning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
this is very similar to what happened to me, (89,000 miles) no warning blew a head gasket, the motor is not knocking but does make a terrible racket (serious miss) seems to be in the top of the motor , water in the oil too, blowing water out the exhaust, didnt even have a chance to change the oil yet, just bought the vehicle at dealer with a clean carfax
your engine makes a terrible racket from a blown head gasket?

weird, I suspect the head gasket is blown on my car ('06 LS with 3.5L) but the engine purrs like a kitten...

·
Registered
32 Posts
your engine makes a terrible racket from a blown head gasket?

weird, I suspect the head gasket is blown on my car ('06 LS with 3.5L) but the engine purrs like a kitten...
yea, a bad miss and noise, water out the exhaust- filled the engine up with water it barely started somewhat smoothed out and shot water 6-8 foot out the back, there is alittle water in the oil(hasnt run long and overheated but not takeing a chance)I will probably tear down to see what it is after I replace

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had bought the car with just over 40k miles.It was from a Ford dealership, only came with a basic 60 day warranty. I had not one single problem with the car until this happened. I always change my oil and filter between 4-5k miles. I used a Delco filter and the recommended 5W-30 oil. The car never leaked a drop or burned any oil. I periodically check the oil level and never found any loss. Again, this came as a complete surprise. There was no prior symptoms up until things went wrong. Yesterday it was finally checked out at the dealership and they did confirm it had a double knock from underneath. Even the mechanic was puzzled as to how this went wrong. There was no metal fragments in the oil when the checked it. Personally I feel that there had to be a defect of some sort somewhere. I do plan on contacting Chevrolet about this. I going to have a new GM rebuilt motor installed that has a warranty.
Hey Eric06LTZ do you have any updates ?
new motor? shortblock? any help from GM?

·
Registered
7 Posts
yea, a bad miss and noise, water out the exhaust- filled the engine up with water it barely started somewhat smoothed out and shot water 6-8 foot out the back, there is alittle water in the oil(hasnt run long and overheated but not takeing a chance)I will probably tear down to see what it is after I replace
that sucks... I was thinking of buying a used engine and replacing mine

will need to find some help to get it done especially if they want the engine out of this car, if they're capable of doing the work themselves (I'm not)

·
Registered
32 Posts
that sucks... I was thinking of buying a used engine and replacing mine

will need to find some help to get it done especially if they want the engine out of this car, if they're capable of doing the work themselves (I'm not)
I am able to do the work myself (retired body mechanic of 25+ years), but bought this car thinking of not having to work on it does suck, the dealership is giving me a run around so decided to bite the bullet and move forward

1 - 20 of 35 Posts