Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have a 1968 Impala (Non-SS) with a 327 motor. It is a 4-door.

Let me know if you need to know anything else.

My problem is this: I can not get my backup lights to work. The 68 has 3 rear lights on each side of the back. The outer two are brake and blinker lights. The middle light is for backing up. All of my blinkers and brake lights work but I can not get the backup lights on either side to work.

I have replaced all 3 bulbs on the left side. The outer two bulbs were blown but work fine now. A friend of mine told me there would be a "switch" under the steering column and I unscrewed the bracket underneath the column and all I saw was a wiring harness. No switch, but then again, I don't know what it looks like...

I have included pictures of my fuse panel. I do realize that one is missing. I actually broke it. The one for the backup lights seems to be fine. I took it out and nothing looked broken or loose.

I took off that circle thing in the top left of the fuse panel. I put it on an ohmmeter and it went nuts. It went all the way up to 188 and would bottom out at 7 but never would stay constant. You can see various ohm readings and voltage readings in my pictures that I attached.

Could this be the part that would be bad according to my meter?

It's going to cost me some beer to find a screwed up wire on this thing! Which I don't mind, but I would feel better in saying that I fixed it myself. I am not mechanically inclined, so I will pass it on if you guys think it's a bad wire.

Let me know if you need any more info from me or if I need to take pictures of something. THANK YOU.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Thats the flasher for you turn signals, nothing to do with the back-up lights. I can't remember where the switch is for sure on a colume shifter car. It might be down on the linkage on the tranny, then again I am probably thinking of a manual shifter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Does anyone out there know where the backup switch is located on a column shifter?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts