Impala Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Personally, I'd rather have a nut on the end of the bolt (in the back) - just so you could remove and re-install the plate as needed without "wearing out" the hole that the screw goes into, but it sounds like the bumper support may be in the way or something (since @A1_Imp had issues getting to it from the back). It that the issue, @A1_Imp - that the bumper support is in the way)?

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
That Guy!!
1,424 Posts
Does anyone know the best place to install a back up cam on a 6th gen? I ask because the plate swings down to expose the fuel cap.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Same here jtrosky. I like to tighten things down and like the ability to take things on or off.

Yes, that is exactly what is in the way. There is of course the metal bumper, so that makes moving around in there tight, and then there is that plastic piece (bumper support? its black plastic).

I spent about an hour struggling with it, before realizing that even if I got the nut on, I would have no way of getting a wrench in there to tighten it.

Probably is just a better idea to get some self-tapping screws and just screw it into the black plastic [bumper support?] and just be careful not to strip anything out too bad. I mean really, how often are we going to be f*cking with our license plates?

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Does anyone know the best place to install a back up cam on a 6th gen? I ask because the plate swings down to expose the fuel cap.
I would assume that you'd want to stay away from the "license plate" style cameras. I guess it could still work, but probably not very well. I'd just get the type that you can "mount" anywhere you want (albeit, you have to drill into your car for those type, but..). I'd have to look at the rear end of a 6th gen to see if there is a good spot to mount...
Same here jtrosky. I like to tighten things down and like the ability to take things on or off.

Yes, that is exactly what is in the way. There is of course the metal bumper, so that makes moving around in there tight, and then there is that plastic piece (bumper support? its black plastic).

I spent about an hour struggling with it, before realizing that even if I got the nut on, I would have no way of getting a wrench in there to tighten it.

Probably is just a better idea to get some self-tapping screws and just screw it into the black plastic [bumper support?] and just be careful not to strip anything out too bad. I mean really, how often are we going to be f*cking with our license plates?
You, I think that may be our only option. While it would be nice to use a nut on the back, if it's not possible, it's not possible. Like you said, it's not like you have to remove the plate very often. Just seems strange putting a camera on there with no real good way to secure it.

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
I have removed and reinstalled.....basically stainless steel self tapping screws. With the added security of clear silicone.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I'm now glad that I opted for the "full frame" type of camera. This way you don't need to worry about the bottom screws at all. :)

It really is a stupid design though - it's the only car I know of that doesn't have all 4 screws for the license plate.... Strange design choice for sure.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Interesting - I wonder if there was a "design change" over the years that included removing the bottom two license plate holes?

Anyone else with pre-2012 Impalas care to check/comment on whether or not they have 4 screws for the license plate? Please state year of car as well. I'm just kind of curious now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
@jtrosky, 2007 impala Lt (but NO dual exhaust) -- only 2 license plate holes at top

Forgive me for not logging in for a while... I spilled a beer on my computer and I could not remember the passwords for literally anything (thanks to the 'remembering' feature.....) so I just recovered my accounts.

I ended up just buying those little kit things that come with 4 license plate screws and those white square plastic pieces that pop in to the hole and have threads in them. I siliconed it on and it seems to be working fine.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I just remembered that @KG2014 had replaced his rear bumper, so that might explain why he has 4 holes for the license plate on his bumper (it's aftermarket instead of OEM). So maybe none of the OEM ever did come with 4 holes for the license plate....

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I just remembered that @KG2014 had replaced his rear bumper, so that might explain why he has 4 holes for the license plate on his bumper (it's aftermarket instead of OEM). So maybe none of the OEM ever did come with 4 holes for the license plate....

Mine only actually had two but I drilled out holes for the bottom two. Actually my current back up camera isn't working. When in reverse it goes to camera mode but no image so I need to test it. Connections did look good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, here is the link, but it's not much help. One post does mention that he needed to run a reverse sensor wire from the BCM to the head-unit, but doesn't say where it's connected to exactly. :)

You might want to search the forum a little more - I'm sure this has come up before...

http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-impala-8th-gen-discussion/368705-reverse-light-wiring-diagram.html

I'm working on putting a camera in my 2016 impala. I just want to clarify, does head unit just mean the mylink radio unit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just put some led headlights back up lights and plate lights on my 18 lt and now my rear camera screen is always on. I took the lights out to see if it would go back to normal but the only thing that works is disconnecting the camera ... Any pointers on how to fix this ?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts