Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, Im experiencing an awkawrd set of pauses in acceleration when my TC is off. Im gassing it pretty heavily from a dead stop, and the tires will spin, stop, spin, stop and then spin again. Everytime the spinning stops, so does the throttle. It feels as if im pumping the gas. It occurs less when the TC is on, which I thought would be the opposite.

This very well may be a normal occurence on a stock 07 SS, but I wanted to see if any one out there thinks something is fishy. It only occurs when the tires spin. When I gas it the car moves great just as long as I dont spin the tires.

·
Registered
123 Posts
As the title states, Im experiencing an awkawrd set of pauses in acceleration when my TC is off. Im gassing it pretty heavily from a dead stop, and the tires will spin, stop, spin, stop and then spin again. Everytime the spinning stops, so does the throttle. It feels as if im pumping the gas. It occurs less when the TC is on, which I thought would be the opposite.

This very well may be a normal occurence on a stock 07 SS, but I wanted to see if any one out there thinks something is fishy. It only occurs when the tires spin. When I gas it the car moves great just as long as I dont spin the tires.
I haven't tried to smoke the tires yet, but when I had Bought brand new a 1998 Grand Prix GTP and with the TC on it would do that spin stop on go and throttle like you said, but with the TC off I could really light up those 16" tires with no problem's. So I would think I should be able to do the same with the SS.:biggrin:

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I figured too but my SS only acts this way with TC OFF... Let me know what happens when you try spinning the wheel with TC off... Im curious :confused:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thats what I figured too but my SS only acts this way with TC OFF... Let me know what happens when you try spinning the wheel with TC off... Im curious :confused:
I did try it and I smoked the S**t out of my tires:eek: and had no problems you have stated. But with the TC on they start to spin and I get what you stated.:frown:

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just took the old broad out for a joy ride and didnt have the problem... Maybe I was delusional and the TC was left on... O well

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dammit

So this issue has been occurring intermittently again... sometimes the tires light up, but in other instances I get this quick stop-go-stop-go action in the wheels (especially when spinning the wheels through a turn)... It feels as if its something directly related to traction control, but the TC is always off on this beast... I cant stand that damn traction control...

The best way to describe it is that the car senses that the wheels are spinning, so the throttle closes and then opens back up again to prevent it. Not sure if this is whats really happening, but this is how it feels. Again its mostly only when im spinning the wheels through a turn, and doesnt happen very often.

Any thoughts?????

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its funny because I was thinking the same thing... Sometimes it happens and other times it wont... but the TC OFF light always comes on... Is it possible for the cluster to read as if TC is off when it is actually failing to disengage?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would think so. The switch is activating two things; the indicator light and the actual gizzmo that deactivates the TC. I would think one could fail and not the other and it being just a dumb machine, does not "know" what is really happening.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
torque mgmt is really picky on the 8th gens from what ive read... theres cases of it engaging on its own when it reaches a certain "abuse" level, kind of like what you are experiencing. I know there was a fix for the 7th gens, not sure if it will work since the PCM and internal trans wiring is different...

Maybe someone like Trifecta progam it off for you?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Its funny because I was thinking the same thing... Sometimes it happens and other times it wont... but the TC OFF light always comes on... Is it possible for the cluster to read as if TC is off when it is actually failing to disengage?
Looks like your TC shut off isn't working. It could be your PCM isn't talking to the trans to disingauge your TC. Have it check for error codes, I think AutoZone or one of them can read it for error codes. The error codes will tell you what is wrong.

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
theres cases of it engaging on its own when it reaches a certain "abuse" level, kind of like what you are experiencing.
What are you trying to say here? that I am working her too hard?

I would NEVER abuse my baby... NEVER.... :eusa_liar:

So what would be the best thing for me to do here? It is under bumper to bumper coverage for another 9000 miles or 11 months, but I have a feeling this one is going to be a fight... would the dealer be willing to check to see if the TC is disengaging correctly? And if they checked... what is the liklihood of them giving me an accurate report of the findings?

·
Registered
123 Posts
What are you trying to say here? that I am working her too hard?

I would NEVER abuse my baby... NEVER.... :eusa_liar:

So what would be the best thing for me to do here? It is under bumper to bumper coverage for another 9000 miles or 11 months, but I have a feeling this one is going to be a fight... would the dealer be willing to check to see if the TC is disengaging correctly? And if they checked... what is the liklihood of them giving me an accurate report of the findings?
With the way GM doing right now, it may be a fight:frown:

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah but if I can get it to throw a code it would actually make it easier... I just dont want them to have to hunt for something since it only happens once in a while... I guess I am abusing it because Im spinning the tires frequently enough to notice this... :eek:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Not to come across like a jack ass, but you sure you're hitting the TC button and not the trunk release button?

Me personally code or no code I would take it to the dealer and have them replace it anyways.

·
Registered
103 Posts
yeah but if I can get it to throw a code it would actually make it easier... I just dont want them to have to hunt for something since it only happens once in a while... I guess I am abusing it because Im spinning the tires frequently enough to notice this... :eek:

I spin my tires all the time to,and it just started doin the same thing from dead stop w/tc off when turning....sooo your not tha only 1 dat thinks there something wrong about dat...I just found another forum called LS1tech.com...there a lot more talk about the LS4 8th gen impala,check it out and ask them tha same question,never hurts 2 try....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts