Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I wouldn't use it. If your tranny is done it's done. Some bottle of miracle fluid wont change that.

To prolong the life of a tranny simply change the fluid and filter every 30,000miles or so.

·
Banned
117 Posts
I have never heard anything bad about the Slick 50 products.They seem to have been around for a while now.I think since the late 80's or early 90's.

Buy it,try it,and see what ya think.Thats all i can really say.

Other than that white93 is right.Got to keep them fluids and filters changed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Lucas will destroy your tranny. Don't use it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you have over a 100k on your trans and you've never changed your fluid, and the trans if fine, don't do anything. But if you've religiously changed your fluids over the years, Do whatever you want. GM says to flush the trans every 50k

·
Registered
184 Posts
Alright maybe I shouldn't have made such a blanket statement.

Lucas oil additive will destroy an engine because it foams up and creates air bubbles.

Once I learned that a company will produce a product that does such a thing, I can only recommend that nobody use any of their products.

Go ahead try Lucas if you really want. Like I said no miracle fluid will save a failing transmission. And adding an additive is not better than just using pure ATF.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Actually, if you look it up, you will find studies showing that engine and transmission oil additives do more harm than good. Oil treatments leave deposits that clog your oil passages. Tranny treatments leave a film on the clutches that make them slip and wear faster (hence the smooth shifts) and break down the seals. Use dexron tranny fluid and any oil with the star seal on it and nothing else.

·
Registered
197 Posts
the lucas oil stabilizer is just a thickner. It has no additives and especially no anti-foaming additives. It just thickens oil. So in reality it dilutes the add pack in your current oil. Their gas treatment is okay, but I wouldn't touch any of their additvers.

There are very few oil and trans additives that are worth a darn. One of them is auto-rx.

Slick 50 is garbage. Pure Snake Oil.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
yeah i put lucas in mi high mile lt1 and now its running like shit ...... but ive never had problems w/ it b4:eek:

·
Banned
117 Posts
A while ago i asked a friend of mine if it would be ok to run a full synthetic tranny fluid in my 1995 9C1 Caprice.He said NO,it has been known to cause the cluches and what not to slip,ect...Basicly wearing out your tranny prematurly.

So needless to say i stuck with a good quality dino oil and AC-Delco filter and torque converter seal.The guy i sold the car to said that his tranny is still going strong :)

Synthetics seem to be ok in anything but GM trannys.I had a 1998 Ford Crown Vic that had pure sysnthetic tranny fluid put in it.That tranny as far as i know is still going great.It even seemed to make the shifts "firmer" so that was a nice plus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts