Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been some posts about reasons not to use auto zone, well as luck would have it the fuel pump on my 3/4 ton truck just crapped out. As convenient as it would be to get a new pump from auto zone, I checked pricing and they are more than $100 over the rock auto price on the exact same delphi pump. Even with the current auto zone online promo, 20 percent off and free shipping, all their pricing on pumps is significantly higher. So might be a few extra days to get a new pump. Luckily my old truck is not my daily driver and have other available transportation.

Honestly with the frustration of the counter part master mechanics, and their high prices dunno how the chain stays in business.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
not trying to bash on the workers at autozones but you have to be careful who you listen to there. they armchair diagnose all day long and a few times i've heard them giving bad advice....plus the hire anyone...my friends ex was hired and i wouldn't trust her to change my oil correctly.....

and now the local chains all want you to order online for cheaper than going to the store...yeah that makes absolutely no sense...if you have the part why do i have to pay more money by going into the store to get it now???

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not trying to bash on the workers at autozones but you have to be careful who you listen to there. they armchair diagnose all day long and a few times i've heard them giving bad advice....plus the hire anyone...my friends ex was hired and i wouldn't trust her to change my oil correctly.....
Yeah, my "master mechanic" comment was sarcasm. Have seen bad advice given more often than good advice.

and now the local chains all want you to order online for cheaper than going to the store...yeah that makes absolutely no sense...if you have the part why do i have to pay more money by going into the store to get it now???
Don't know why the stores don't honor the online discounts, especially when they sometimes have the parts in stock in stores. That is my only downside to buying a lifetime pump from rock auto, if it fails who the heck do I send it to and how long am I gonna have to wait...

With all that being said I have had a very limited number of autozone counter workers that were helpful, over probably close to 30 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes and today i went to return a loan a tool harmonic balancer puller to AutoZone. I walked in with the puller and the receipt. The guy says i already returned it. I didn't know what to say! "Did you not just see me walk in with it? When you take a return, you take the part right? If i had returned it, how do i still have the part?" Well he insisted I had already returned it. He had to go by the computer. He was LITERALLY implying i was trying to get over on them somehow. I asked to speak to the manager and he said i wad looking at him. Thing is i know the store manager and its not this guy. Unbelievable. Im still baffled. How would i still have the tool if i had returned it already??? He never gave me my $ back. So i sold it.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
A different perspective

On the subject of the counter guys at Autozone, and other parts stores as well, I wanted to give a little different perspective. But I don't want to get crossways with you guys, so please don't take this as being argumentative :)

I find that most, but not all, of the guys at parts store counters are car guys. Some of them are just beginning - ie, beginner car guys - and some of them are pretty savvy, like the guy with the Holden GTO at my neighborhood Autozone. For sure, he had my respect.

Regardless of their expertise, I appreciate their enthusiasm - I appreciate their interest in cars. But I also try to learn who I can trust, and who I need to double check :)

Either way, I try to learn all their names, and pass the time of day with them when I'm in the store. (That's my nature anyway.) Many of them address me by name, and that surely makes me feel welcome. Sometimes they'll even give me a little discount which never hurts, and that includes the dealer parts guys, too.

So I encourage everyone to apply the small-town mentality and try to get to know your parts store clerks - even if they can't set the timing on your 1955 four-barrel 327 - they can still be helpful in other ways.

One last thought, I usually already know what I'm buying when I show up at the counter - I've already looked it up on the web, and printed out the page with the part number on it. I'll tell the clerk I've already looked it up, but ask him to look it up, too. Then we compare results. If we both get the same part number, that makes me more confident I have the right part.

One more last thought: I can recall 40 years ago seeing guys who would come up at the parts counter with their bad part, and then compare it to the new one the clerk had just fetched. I've had to learn thru personal experience why that's such a good idea :)

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
143 Posts
I dont think this is an AutoZone issue as much as it is a general retail issue. I do not shop at one store exclusively simply because no one retailer will have the lowest price all of the time. Same goes for online vs local. As far as service goes, I have had good and bad experiences at all automotive retail stores.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just purchased a new wheel bearing for the old mans 8th gen. Dealership charged him $550 for the work plus a new harness for one 6 months ago. I purchased a Moog bearing and a new harness plus a 34MM DW socket $122.00. AZ wants $139.00 just for the bearing.

Apples to apples $89.00 versus $139.00

Pat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts