Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Malibu LT it did not come with an auto dimming rear view mirror.

I purchased one from a totaled 2016 Impala

on the back of the mirror there are 5 wires

Green
Red
Black
Light Brown
White with a black strip

Im guessing Red is power and black is ground, but anyone know what the other 3 are for.

I attached a pic of the wires below as well. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nevermind, here you go. Only need 2 wires to make it "work" pin 2 and 5, see picture. pin 1 will disable day/night in reverse if you supply it voltage when in reverse. the other two wires are the network to talk to the outside mirrors.

Be aware that GM schematics show pin 2 as a red wire, and pin 5 as black /white tracer. yours looks like pin 5 is wht/blk Schematics are often wrong though...but if the face of that connector doesnt look like it mates what I posted you likely dont have the ID of that mirror correct.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For anyone else trying to do this, heres how i completed it

I taped in to the PCM drivers side, under the headlight switch, (take out the coin tray, its right behind it)

On the mirror
Green Wire - Is for the reverse lights (behind the fuses, Gray plug Pin 2 Green/White wire)
Red Wire - Switched Power
Black Wire - Ground

Did not have to use the other two wires, as Maven76 stated they are for auto dimming side mirrors

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same question. My 2018 premier has a manual mirror. I think because it was a rental car. I got a mirror on eBay.it Has the plug. I took my mirror off hoping I had the wiring already. There is a plug there but it’s already connected to a plug on the mirror mount. Does the auto dim mirror work without a connection. What would those wires that are coming out of the headliner an run to the mirror support be for if there is no self dimming mirror

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
It's amazing to me why these aren't standard equipment. Hell, my old 02 Sierra SLE had it. My 2015 has a lot more features but is missing that auto dim mirror. Our 15 Impala 2LT does have it however.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does the auto dimming feature on the mirror work without connecting any wires. I understand the plug on the mirror has connections for the door mirrors an ect. I only want the auto dimming feature.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 LS and doesn’t come with auto dimming rear view mirror. If I were to install such a mirror that fits on LT or Premier will it work on my LS model namely, is the wiring there to support such an installation? And where is a good place to buy this mirror Without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
19LSV6 I have ask the same question all over the different Chevy forums.I never get any answers. I have private messaged two of the people on this thread that posted above some info on what we are looking for. But neither has messaged me back. If you learn how to do it please let me no.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2019 LS and doesn’t come with auto dimming rear view mirror. If I were to install such a mirror that fits on LT or Premier will it work on my LS model namely, is the wiring there to support such an installation? And where is a good place to buy this mirror Without breaking the bank.
I have a Premier and it doesn't have the auto dimming mirror. To get it you also have to have the Memory Seats along with the power tilt/telescoping column, which mine didn't come with, so no auto dimming mirror for me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2019 LS and want to do this also . Is there any update to this ??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I just finished putting in an auto dimming mirror just yesterday and I'm in the process of writing it up with pics. If you give me a few days I will post it up in a separate thread.

As for a good place to buy a mirror I bought mine on eBay for $40 with all the connectors and harnesses in place. Look for a 2015-2018 Chevrolet Malibu Cruze Rear View Mirror w/Automatic Auto Dimming Dim OEM. It is very important that you get a mirror that has the connector from the mirror to the body harness attached otherwise you won't be able to connect it.

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
My bad it’s for a Chevy Impala 2019 LS that I want to do this on . Did you this on a Malibu ? I should have clarified better .

·
Registered
13 Posts
No, it was a 2018 Impala Premier that I install the mirror on. I used the mirror of 2017 Malibu, which is the same as in the Impala. Too many Impalas were rental cars and therefore didn't have the auto dimming mirror option, but the Malibu did. Just make sure you get the mirror w/o the OnStar buttons on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up my 2018 Impala Premier last week. I was disappointed that it didn't have an auto dimming rear view mirror. It seems like most GM cars from the last 10 years have them (especially on top of the line models). I ordered a mirror from a 2017 Malibu and I'm hoping to install it soon. GearHeadPeter - the write up you mentioned would be great!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
No, it was a 2018 Impala Premier that I install the mirror on. I used the mirror of 2017 Malibu, which is the same as in the Impala. Too many Impalas were rental cars and therefore didn't have the auto dimming mirror option, but the Malibu did. Just make sure you get the mirror w/o the OnStar buttons on it.
ok so if I have Onstar buttons on my mirror right now . I will now go without Onstar when I put the Malibu without on Onstar buttons on it ? Would the LS be the same setup as a Premier ? I’m not sure if you know that or not . Thank you so much sharing your info with us !

·
Registered
36 Posts
ok so if I have Onstar buttons on my mirror right now . I will now go without Onstar when I put the Malibu without on Onstar buttons on it ? Would the LS be the same setup as a Premier ? I’m not sure if you know that or not . Thank you so much sharing your info with us !
Sorry , I’m on crack . Im thinking of my woman’s Tahoe that has Onstar buttons on mirror . My Impala does not . It’s on the panel .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts