Impala Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2000 chevy impala, and it seems that everything that couls go wrong with this car has gone wrong. The transmission is going bad, the radiator is going bad (after having it replaced three times) and both my windows do not work in the front (which seems to be a recurring problem in all impalas) Dont not get me wrong i love these cars, but does it seem worth it to buy a new one and go through the same problems again?

Also, wold it be easier to fix my window (which is off track) my self or just have a professional do it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
well, no matter what car you get, there are always going to be problems. you could go buy a $250,000 lambo and still have everything in the world go wrong and pay 3 or 4x more to get it fixed. cars are nothing but work and thats what makes them a hobby. people love to fix their cars and its pretty much fun to do now.....But anyways, I would go ahead and buy some window glue and put the window back on the track yourself.

·
Registered
483 Posts
And if you have orange "dexcool" coolant in your car get rid of it and save yourself some problems. Read this http://www.dexcoolsettlement.com/ and you will see that coolant tends to cause damage.

Angel
Looking at your post and reading through the link. I have dex-cool in my 96 SS. Our cars aren't listed on the doc. It doesn't say anything about the LT1, that I found.

The local dealership replaced the radiator due to a rock opening her up and refilled it about 15k ago. Guess i should switch it out to the green stuff huh?

P.S. George back to work?

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
George has been back for a while, I have ALWAYS insisted my friends and customers get rid of dexcool and swap for green. I will not personally put orange/dexcool in anyones car after the things I have seen it cause.

·
Registered
13 Posts
whenever dexcool is taken out, the radiator and engine need to be flushed and backflushed numerous times to get the majority of it out. Dexcool aint all that bad if it doesnt get mixed with real (green) coolant. One mistake ive seen quite a few people make is draining the radiator and forgetting about the block itself....that makes for a bad day....

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
whenever dexcool is taken out, the radiator and engine need to be flushed and backflushed numerous times to get the majority of it out. Dexcool aint all that bad if it doesnt get mixed with real (green) coolant. One mistake ive seen quite a few people make is draining the radiator and forgetting about the block itself....that makes for a bad day....

What exactly do you do that makes you say dexcool is not bad? enlighten me and everyone else here. It's not like we see hundreds of GM's here with dexcool related/caused problems, its not like GM just settled a class action lawsuit because of the damages caused by dexcool or anything. I am just kinda at wits end with people defending dexcool when it should be banned. Even the GM reps don't want to talk about it anymore, we have had this discussion with them several times....EVERYTIME they invite us to the GM plant we bring it up and they avoid it at cost lol

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've actually never had a problem with dex-cool, in any of my cars. But there's no way in hell that I'd follow GM's instructions of keeping it in for 6 years or 100k miles. I flush it every 2 years, never had a problem.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
keep flushing it, dexcool eats metal and destroys rubber hoses and plastic intake gaskets. It also LOVES to destroy heater cores.

·
Registered
557 Posts
if its not mixed properly it'll destroy that stuff, but if its just 50/50 its fine. That's what happened in the earlier cars, it was too potent. But its fine for the later models..

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
It does not matter if it is diluted, if you dont cycle it out of your vehicle the result is the same. To each his own, its not my car and it will not go into my car or anyone else's I work on here at the shop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i took a training course in heavy duty cooling systems. according to what i learned, all coolant sold in the us meets the same standards, found on the back of the container. the color indicates nothing, and any coolant can be mixed with any other. i think the presentation was by a cummins represenative. despite this information, we still use different coolants for cat, cummins, mercedes, and detroit.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Most of us that work on vehicles have taken several courses on this topic. A class action lawsuit over DEXCOOL has just been settled. No one settles if the product was doing what it was supposed to be doing. This topic is closed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.