Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some bulb swapping... on a side note, stay away from the dirt cheap SMD LED bulbs off eBay. As I posted in another thread, mine lasted a few months before winter hit and now half dead. :S

Anyways... ashtray... odd design have the bulb fit into a cup with a slit in the end, shining into another slit, but, in any case, bulb was solid black (I guess old driver was a smoker) and when I took the bulb out the plastic was brittle and some bits cracked off. Doesn't seem to work now.

Question is, is the ashtray bulb on it's own fuse? and if it is indeed the socket that is dead, what's the part number for me to search on? Google brings up a lot of bulbs but not having luck finding the socket.

Also, since it's been dead since the bulb has been dead since day one so never seen in action, is the bulb on all the time? I didn't see any sort of switch to toggle it on/off when the tray is pulled out. If not I might consider adding one. Thanks. :D

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I think that bulb comes on with the interior lights, it really should have a switch though, I agree. Personally, if I were to ever worry about fixing it, I would either find a socket at the junk yard, or find a generic one. Of course check with your local parts store and dealer first to make sure its not a readily available $5 part.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that bulb comes on with the interior lights, it really should have a switch though, I agree. Personally, if I were to ever worry about fixing it, I would either find a socket at the junk yard, or find a generic one. Of course check with your local parts store and dealer first to make sure its not a readily available $5 part.
Ya it'd be nice is when the tray opens the light is on. I keep all my lose change in there for buying coffee, which is why I want the light on so I can see what I'm fishing out.

I thought about the local wreckers but, under a foot of snow and sunken into a foot of mud... took me forever to climb into one for a few parts in the Fall, probably can't get anything open right now. Plus it's pricey... $10 just to replace the cup holder. Though I may still ask, they have a really nice SS model, and I want the nicer panels.

Rather just order a new one off eBay, probably cheaper in the long run than the wreckers which may also be brittle/broken.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this for the bench seat pull out ashtray area? Or does the center console one have a light as well?
I have the bench seat, automatic on the steering column. My ashtray pulls out from underneath the climate control. Well... it will, right now it's on my desk. Plastic track on one side snapped, had to krazy glue it back on. :S

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Naw no worries... glue is holding good. Pushed down on the cigarette lighter too hard and snapped it. Another replace item... when I push the lighter in it doesn't stay in... thought I wasn't pushing hard enough until 'snap!'. :D

Thanks though. :D

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It actually comes on with the ignition :eek:k3:
Ah so, once the car is on, the light is on and stays on... no wonder it was black/brittle... probably from the heat of the bulb rather than cigarettes. Small switch should be easy to add. :D

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Naw no worries... glue is holding good. Pushed down on the cigarette lighter too hard and snapped it. Another replace item... when I push the lighter in it doesn't stay in... thought I wasn't pushing hard enough until 'snap!'. :D

Thanks though. :D
A lighter socket has 2 pieces. The socket and a plastic collar. Insert the collar first and then push the socket in. This pushes the tabs on the collar out and locks it all in.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Ah so, once the car is on, the light is on and stays on... no wonder it was black/brittle... probably from the heat of the bulb rather than cigarettes. Small switch should be easy to add. :D
Yes the heat and always being on likely killed it. Mine was dead when I bought my impala too. I replaced mine with no problems. Mine is in the center console which, requires taking the whole center console apart. Wasn't fun but, It worked. Yes, there should be a switch for it. Your actual best bet would be to hook up a small led strip to a switch. Led's are waterproof, no heat, and last much longer :eek:k3:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A lighter socket has 2 pieces. The socket and a plastic collar. Insert the collar first and then push the socket in. This pushes the tabs on the collar out and locks it all in.
What I meant was, when I pushed down/in on the lighter, the plastic rail on the slide out tray snapped. The lighter itself seems intact, maybe just worn... if I rotate it and press it in, maybe 1 in every 10x it stays in.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
If you are keen on sticking with the stock bulb I would just use hot glue or similar. NVM seems you already did this. Just wait until summer time and go to a junkyard

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes the heat and always being on likely killed it. Mine was dead when I bought my impala too. I replaced mine with no problems. Mine is in the center console which, requires taking the whole center console apart. Wasn't fun but, It worked. Yes, there should be a switch for it. Your actual best bet would be to hook up a small led strip to a switch. Led's are waterproof, no heat, and last much longer :eek:k3:
Exactly the plan... I have a bunch of cheap/crappy 194 wedge SMD LED bulbs that look great but lasted only a couple months. I'll be ordering some better quality ones next time, and using one of these for the ashtray, maybe cut the slit a bit bigger to allow more light through. Then adding a small switch that I'll mount inside... pull the tray out, releases the button, light comes on type deal.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Exactly the plan... I have a bunch of cheap/crappy 194 wedge SMD LED bulbs that look great but lasted only a couple months. I'll be ordering some better quality ones next time, and using one of these for the ashtray, maybe cut the slit a bit bigger to allow more light through. Then adding a small switch that I'll mount inside... pull the tray out, releases the button, light comes on type deal.
Great idea but, with led's there isn't near as much worry of them burning out so, a switch really wouldn't be necessary and would kinda be inconvenient. Just my opinion. I have had these led's for my license plate lights for quite some time with no issues what so ever. Even with my sub beating the crap out of my trunk :yahoo:

194 168 T10 Wedege SMD High Power LED HYPER WHITE BULBS Dome Lights 12V (1 pair) : Amazon.com : Automotive

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
If you are keen on sticking with the stock bulb I would just use hot glue or similar. NVM seems you already did this. Just wait until summer time and go to a junkyard
The socket is just crumbled around the edges, brittle, doesn't work...

The glue thing was the tray itself, the rails along the side that allows the tray to be pulled out... big chunk broke out on the left side.

I'll upload a pic of what I mean... I highlighted the broken chunk in red. 11pm now so, can't get a pic of the socket.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great idea but, with led's there isn't near as much worry of them burning out so, a switch really wouldn't be necessary and would kinda be inconvenient. Just my opinion. I have had these led's for my license plate lights for quite some time with no issues what so ever. Even with my sub beating the crap out of my trunk :yahoo:

194 168 T10 Wedege SMD High Power LED HYPER WHITE BULBS Dome Lights 12V (1 pair) : Amazon.com : Automotive
Switch would be mounted inside the ashtray, a momentary switch, where when pushed it's off and released is on. I wouldn't have to turn the light on/off, it would simply come on when the tray is open.

Since I keep change in it I want a lot of light in there, but, when the tray is closed, I don't want the extra bright LED light leaking out the crack in the front/sides.

I have a few of that style as well, nice white and bright, I simply went too cheap. Read some info and apparently the soldering in the cheap eBay ones are badly done... and by cheap I mean 10x LEDs for $2 and free shipping. :D

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Switch would be mounted inside the ashtray, a momentary switch, where when pushed it's off and released is on. I wouldn't have to turn the light on/off, it would simply come on when the tray is open.

Since I keep change in it I want a lot of light in there, but, when the tray is closed, I don't want the extra bright LED light leaking out the crack in the front/sides.

I have a few of that style as well, nice white and bright, I simply went too cheap. Read some info and apparently the soldering in the cheap eBay ones are badly done... and by cheap I mean 10x LEDs for $2 and free shipping. :D
Gotcha. I wasn't sure how the setup was on these as I haven't seen one up close. Yes a momentary switch would make sense and work much better. Just make sure you find one that is DC and can handle the output/draw. Mounting the switch might be difficult to find the right spot but, it would be cool and functional. :eek:k3:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gotcha. I wasn't sure how the setup was on these as I haven't seen one up close. Yes a momentary switch would make sense and work much better. Just make sure you find one that is DC and can handle the output/draw. Mounting the switch might be difficult to find the right spot but, it would be cool and functional. :eek:k3:
I am thinking at the rear... above the light is a nice open 1"x4.5" flat lip area. Drill (carefully) through that and mount the switch, be nice and close to the wiring as well... just gotta double check what is under the dash but, seems like it should work. :)

I'll update my photo to show where I mean for the switch.

Switch wise, was looking at THIS on eBay, description says

ON-(OFF), normally connected type [momentary type ], push it --off, release it --on.
CUT SIZE : 10mm
125V--6A, 250V - 3A, also works for 3v,4.5v,6v,9v,12v ,24v,36v ...

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I am thinking at the rear... above the light is a nice open 1"x4.5" flat lip area. Drill (carefully) through that and mount the switch, be nice and close to the wiring as well... just gotta double check what is under the dash but, seems like it should work. :)

I'll update my photo to show where I mean for the switch.
Will take some modification but, it will work nice for you :eek:k3:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts