Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a suspension system designed by the kinds of audio BOSE. my suspension teacher went over it a little bit so if you have any questions ill try to answer them the best i can.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I have a thousand questions since the video didn't actually explain anything, what is the basic principle? What are the components? Are they making aftermarket kits? Or just trying to market to manufacturers?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This system has electric stepper motors at each wheel with a computer that sees the road in front of the car. Lets say the computer sees a pot hole up ahead when you get to the pot hole instead of letting the tire fall in it and bounce out the computer tells the wheel to set down in to the pot hole and then picks it up when it's time to come out of the hole. At the end of the video when the car jumped over the board the computer decided that the car could not simply drive over the board at that speed so it jumped it.
As of now it's in no production vehicles and I don't even know if its available for aftermarket use but when it does it will set you back around $50,000

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
So it's more of a concept at this point? That would be pretty sweet to see in production.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I read a little more about it, looks like they have bee working on it for the last 30+ years, but it wasn't until the 90's that they were able to make any real progress since they lacked the processing technology prior to the pentium revolution. In 2004 they released that video as part of a press release, saying that in the next year they planned to be tied to at least one manufacturer to put it into production on vehicles, which would occur within the decade. Well, here we are in 2013, and there have been no further announcements. Supposedly the plan was to option it for $100k+ cars, of course in 04 that meant something different, now it may even be $200k+

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah, I think if I upgrade my suspension, I'll just stick with Hotchkis and try to avoid potholes and boards... For that kind of money that car should do an end-zone dance around the board!!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
For that kind of money that car should do an end-zone dance around the board!!
:giggle:

It looks like it would be great to have but wayyyy to expensive... :gaah:

·
Premium Member
18,506 Posts
May be expensive, but its very cool!

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
We have problems with speed sensors and bad hubs, this would be a nightmare on a stepper motor. Nice idea but not for large production run car line.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Sounds like an electromagnetic suspension on steroids

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Coolest thing though, they said if the obstacle would compress the suspension any less than 8", it wouldn't be felt by the driver at all. That's more than most suspension has in overall travel!

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
That board jump is crazy. Hopefully one of the luxury manufacturers can make this happen

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
How much you wanna bet that trunk is filled with expensive electronics. Something the mid priced vehicle's will never see.

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
How much you wanna bet that trunk is filled with expensive electronics. Something the mid priced vehicle's will never see.
oh, I'd almost expect it, particularly for a prototype. If omeone were to try this, I'd expect a high end company like Rolls or Bentley first.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts