1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Yes, get it.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Well, I think you'll need to provide a little more info than that. BUT I know there are several Impalas that make it to 300k+ miles with the original components (Other than the often maintained ones). They're big, safe, cheap to own, cheap to insure, comfortable, accomodating, easy to use, last long, get GREAT MPG, etc. Honestly if you have say a $10k budget, you can get a SS, but for $8k you could get a 03/04 LS with low miles. Do some research on ebay for prices and such. Mine's white and I LOVE the color. To be totally honest, the thing rides really well, too. Better/quieter than my mom's Lexus RX. Weird, I know. You'll love it!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes I have an 8th gen but I had the most amazing 7th gen ever! I love love loved that car even after the a/c went out and the tranny started acting up. I corrected the tranny issue (spending maybe $100) but my lovely bride convinced me we didn't need a third car so I sold it. I shed a tear that day and now she recently told me she made a mistake in having me sell it... hell that phrase alone, a woman admitting she was wrong, haha priceless... it was a 2000 9C1 3800 and had 192000 miles on it. In the three years I owned it I did nothing but the maintenance on it and it performed like a champ

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
In 2003 we bought my wife a brand new one with the 3.4l, didn't put tires on it till 119k did the intake gasket fix at 140k, had brakes a few times, just a couple weeks ago I changed the original serpentine belt and battery, it is up around 170K on it. Car has been great to own.

I do not care for FWD atall and IMO the seats in her's suck something horrible but cost of ownership and reliability have been great.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Transmission is the only real weak point of those cars if you ask me, I wish they didn't change them, I hate the 8th gens.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
^Wait, what? You think the tranny's are a weak point for 7 gen, but you think they should have left it in the 8th gen? As in, not put a worse one in the 8th gen? That's how I am reading it.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
I think he means the body style..

but while we're on the subject of worth....I have a question about the 7th gens...

What's up with the values on them?? I've seen several SS Indy's on eBay, over 110k on the odo, and still priced at 10k, is that reasonable? Seems really high for something with that kind of mileage, even saw one with a salvage title and 120k going for that much.....does the Indy package really add that much value? It looks like just an appearance option, I know it was rare, but still....what's up with the pricing on the SS models?? Is it just wishful thinking on the seller's part, or is that reasonable?

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
It's only worth what someone will pay, but basically it is a more valuable trim, a low mileage, loaded LS will go for $8-9k. They have gone up in value as well. Even my 03 LS went up $500 this year. :)

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
I figured it was crazy talk, but when there's 4 online at once, it made me wonder..

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I realize now I worded that strange. I meant the rest of the car, the tranny probably should have been improved, but I feel like they made the rest of the car worse in just about every way.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
lol.....there has been a shift in "the force" balance has been restored...come to the dark side people......it's better than you think! :devil:

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
If i could drop 2 cents in, here they are. Ive owned a total of 4 Impalas including my current 1996 SS. A 2001, 2002 (RIP), and a 2004 (all of which were the 3.4). Also Ive owned a couple of other cars that shared the demonic 3.8 v6 1999 Camaro and a 1998 Buick Regal GS (Supercharged). On the Impala topic, IMHO these were the best v6's GM as ever built. As mentioned, they are big, the entire collective unit 3.4, 3.8, 3.8 SC has more than average power, and yet average near 30 mpg.

The value end of these IMO, depends on who is the owner and how well they take care of their car. That goes for any car including old school cars. Ive seen a several new millenium Impalas that had well over 200k miles on it, that I wouldnt have a problem paying close to $2500-$4000 for. Especially when they are highway miles. Although to give a proper answer, I would imagine the LS to be a little more valuable. But then again, some of the options on the base model could be equal to that of the LS.

As for the power, out of all the cars ive mentioned. My favorite was the 3.8 SC in the Regal GS, which drove no differently than the LS/SS brand Impala. And if I had my choice in the future, Id have to have the LS, SS Impala. Body style wise after 96, again the 00-05 is on the top of the food chain for me. Wider and a slightly sporter look. But then there is the 2006-09 Impala SS and SS only. No comment because I want one!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Give it up guys, OP never came back. I respond like I do in post #2 just to see if they are serious and coming back or not.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Impalaforums.com?

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
Give it up guys, OP never came back. I respond like I do in post #2 just to see if they are serious and coming back or not.
Yeah, but I doubt he's the only one with this question. :beer:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts