Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is normal temperature for this vehicle//what does your normally run?? Mine was running 215 the other day, so I took it to the Pontiac dealer and they fixed my lower intake manifold gasket because it was leaking, I paid $850 and then I picked it up and they insisted for the whole half hour I was there that it was fine now and I kept asking them, then I leave and it was running between 210-215, 200 is middle, that is what I thought cars were suppose to run, middle, so I don't want something to go wrong if it's running hot and I also don't want it to be running high after I just invested the money to fix that.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
215 is at the high end of acceptable. Smebody already mentioned that pontiacs suck. Take this seriously.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pontiacs are great, i love all of mine, even tho my one has some problems every now and then. but besides that, my normal is around 210. all of my gaskets are fine. if it gets up around 230 or more i would worry and take it back to fix. if it heats up and cools down drasticaly, your head gasket has blown. hope this helps.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most Pontiac's around the year of yours will show a higher reading than it did when you first bought it.
the problem is in the temp sensors and in switching over from that orange antifreeze to green the factory uses when the car was new,

these cars have sensors in the radiator, engine, block, thermostat, and dashboard, the repair shops usually changes the thermostat to a lower temp thermostat so it will open up sooner. But that sacrifices having a very good heater in the winter to having a good heater. because the water temp is not being held for the warm up period when you first start the motor for the first time of the day.
if your getting a check gaudges light coming on than its only warning you that the temp guadge is too high but not nessasarly the engine is overheating

have all temp sensors replaced and ask the >head service manager< why didn't they check the sensors including the one that runs the needle to the dashboard and all computer temp sensors if this cost you $850 just to change a gasket.

They are liable now because the work they preformed didn't change the HI temp problem any.
this car should set around 180 on a 75 degree day and no more than 200 210 on a100+ degree day and thats only in a traffic jam like 5 oclock rush. because the air in that condition will feel alot hotter than what it realy is and air circulation will be restricted too.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
first off, its no surprised they replaced the LIM gasket. those are awful on the grand am. however, that will not fix your car running hot. I'd suggest 2 things. first, get your coolant flushed and changed. coolant will loose its ability to cool over a period of time. its best to have it changed once a year. and dex-cool (gm coolant) isnt that great. if that doesnt work, then thats ok. cause like i said before its a good idea to change it once in a while. second, i'd replace my therostat. this is more then likly the culprit. it these where out and are cheap to replace. sinse grand ams are known to run a little on the warm side, like yours is doing, i suggest getting a 180* thermostat. this will allow your coolant to start running through the engine at 180* instead of 200*, like the stocker.

heres a link to the 180* thermostat
http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GA3002/GAUNDER/Hypertech+PowerStat+Thermostats.html

and heres a link if you want to change it yourself
http://www.grandamgt.com/thermostat-pfyc.html

good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts