Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there guys and gals. I used one of those block testers with the blue dye and the color changed from blue to green. So looks as if I'm at the beginning stages of blown head gaskets or a warped head. I also see small bubbles in my coolant. Anyway, I'm going to give the blue devil pour and go a try. Most companies leave out crucial info on their directions. Has anyone used this before. Are you supposed to have the heater on full blast while you add it slowly so it circulates through the cooling system and block better ?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Don't use it. Think about it, if a product is able to seal a leak from the inside, what else is it going to seal that probably shouldn't be sealed?

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Don't use it. Think about it, if a product is able to seal a leak from the inside, what else is it going to seal that probably shouldn't be sealed?
X2

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the pour and go Blue devil. It's different than the yellow label regular full strength type. The yellow label you have to use with your thermostat out. I heard horror stories with people using the yellow label. However, they probably did not use it correctly also. BlueDevil reacts to temperature differential created by airflow at the leak point. That temperature differential is the catalyst for the chemicals in BlueDevil to react and form its chemical weld.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I have seen it but never used it. Any of these products you chose may very well work but what will it do to the motor later if you have to have major engine work done? Some machine shops won't touch heads or rebuild an engine that has had Liquid Glass or Blue Devil products used. Not sure of this but heard that these products will damage the machine shops cutters when re-milling the head or blocks.

I have used Liquid Glass on a fleet vehicle that does not get driven very much each year. I chose it for since the freeze plugs were dripping and I knew the owner was not going to pay to have the trans pulled to get to the rear freeze plugs. So far after 2 years the stuff is holding up very well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kewl, Well if this does not work, I'll just be getting another engine. When you used the liquid glass did you have the heater on high while you added the solution ?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Radiator leak

I seen a guy at a gas station I worked at in the late 70's put in 2 boxes of corn starch to stop his radiator leak :giggle: I was 16. I told him it was a bad idea, and then he reminded me I was 16, so............ all I can say is I am still :giggle:

Jeff

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Corn starch? Terrible idea, eggs maybe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I've been a chef for 26 years now. If you add corn starch to hot liquid you will get something like tapioca pudding. lol. If you add it to cool liquid then heat the liquid it will thicken like mommas smooth gravy. However. My problem is not a radiator problem. I believe my Impala is at the beginning stages of an exhaust head gasket leaking exhaust into my coolant. Either that or I have a cracked or warped head. Blue devil fixes all the above when used correctly. I sent an email to the company and they replyed that I should do a chemical flush then back flush the heater core then do a complete clean water flush then add the proper amount of dex-cool, bleed the air out. then let the engine cool for 3-4 hours. Then take out 16-20 oz of coolant, then turn the engine on with the radiator cap off, then crank the heater, then add the blue devil slowly, they stress to take at least a full minute to add the whole bottle. once the bottle is added then cap the radiator and continue to run the engine at idle with the heater full throttle for 50 minutes. Then shut the engine off, and keep it off and let it sit over night so the chemical can set up correctly and seal any cracks or leaks. Then start her up and baby her for the first 100 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hate to bump a thread this old...especially on a forum I have not been very active on (have not owned an impala in a few years now)

IDK what it is about Blue Devil (the kind that costs ~50-60 bucks and you have to flush your coolant system)... but it works, and works well.

I am no fan at all of any sealants you normally see on the shelves (bars leaks, etc) I read about blue devil on yellowbullet...saw some guys post success stories, and gave it a shot on a windstar that I had little faith in and didn't care to swap head(s) or an entire engine. Blue Devil is the consistency of windshield wiper fluid coming out of the bottle, and this was a very bad case of an already bad HG turning into obviously warped heads... blowing throgh coolant like crazy.

Used as instructed. A year and 40k miles later, the POS still runs (though the trans is now starting to give.. I spent very little time doing actual labor on it, and it got way better way fast. I have not had to add coolant to that van ever since, and the heater core did not plug up.

I have never seen any of these "fixes" in a bottle cause anything more than headaches (especially with plugging cores) but the BD did the trick. I saw someone on the aforementioned forum use it on a car that had coolant literally pouring out of the exhaust with success.

BTW, I am not a shill for that company.... and I always do reccomend doing things the right way. That said, if you're in a bind, why not? Especially if it's not something newer and expensive. It's not as if a 3400/3800 is some rare expensive engine if this ends up not holding.... I would ABSOLUTELY reccomend this to anyone trying to fix a car that is not their baby. Then again, changing heads on these cars is super easy in my opinion. Im used to working on cramped engine bays with turbo 4's in them.

I would NOT use this on a car I had a lot of money and time into, but I would use it on my DD. I would not feel right using this stuff to "fix" a car to sell. Yes, I do have a 40k success story, but I believe selling it just after using this product would have been pretty unethical.

I would also not advocate using ANY OTHER products claiming to fix head gaskets. I have never seen them do much of anything other than make things worse while wasting time and money on false hope.... and I am the type of person who would rather swap an engine than a heater core in most vehicles on any given day. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts