Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Horns died on my 2005 Impala base, 3.4L. Not sure I want to spend the $100. or so online replacing them with the stock AC Delco units. Any aftermarket pairs that would work, you've tried, etc ?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Train horn :eek:k3:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I went to a local auto parts and got a universal horn. Needed 2 end connectors as it wasn't the same as the stock one and I cut the old horns wiring and ran it to the new one.

Works just as well as the stock one at less than a third of the price.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Relays are usually about 30A.

·
Registered
49 Posts
update,

very easy to install, I used the current mount.

The wires from the horn are very cheap,,, If you need pictures let me know.

fred

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I installed dual "Freeway Blasters" on my Impala back in 03, it only had one horn originally. I have had to lay on it for up to 8 or 10 seconds trying to get the attention of an inconsiderate driver before. Have not replaced the fuse or the relay for the horn as of yet. Also I pointed both horns through the grill, the original pointed at the radiator core support.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HELLA 007424801 Twin Trumpet High/Low Tone horns

Update: I ordered up a pair of HELLA 007424801 Twin Trumpet High/Low Tone horns from Amazon, $24. Made up a new wiring harness/adapter from the connector attached to the original GM horn, to connect between the stock GM 2-terminal female horn connector, and the male spade lugs on the Hellas, so I didn't have to modify the Imapala's wiring at all.
Hella insists that you use the mounting bracket that is attached to each horn from the factory, for electromechanical and warranty reasons, which made things a little tighter space-wise, so i used the original GM mounting bracket PLUS the Hella brackets, which kinda hung the horns way out there at bit, but all in all it wasn't a bad result. (Would've been very easy to take the brackets off and mount exactly as the originals, using the little bolt right on the body of the horn itself, without the brackets). The horns are great, kinda muscular but not too loud.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts