Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a set of Impala ss springs for my car... i want to take these lowering springs off my car and put the stock ss ones on....

i never really did suspension work on any car i had, so i have no experience doing it...

pretty much what i want to know, is if anyone knows a webpage that has step by step installation steps with pictures?

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Think it over, the rears are very easy to replace. The fronts can be very dangerous to replace by inexperienced people. They are under great pressure and without the right tools and know how, it is possible for them to get out of your control. Some people do the fronts by using floor jacks for compression but to me thats the last thing I would do. Just be careful whatever route you choose.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think it over, the rears are very easy to replace. The fronts can be very dangerous to replace by inexperienced people. They are under great pressure and without the right tools and know how, it is possible for them to get out of your control. Some people do the fronts by using floor jacks for compression but to me thats the last thing I would do. Just be careful whatever route you choose.
Yea i all ready spoke with my mechanic... i think im just going to let him do my springs, shocks, control arm, center link and the other few things i bought from my suspension hook up i have... everything new for under $100... Monroe and Moog stuff too... nothing great, but not cheap cheap crap... i am very inexperienced in front springs... i never did one in my life hahaaa so im gonna have him do it, and give him the couple hundred bucks... its worth it... i heard they can come flying at you, getting out of control, and rip your head off.... lol hahaaa im not trying to have that happen

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When doing stuff like this, having a service manual is worth its weight in gold. They're only $15-$20 and are great to have. A lot of times the info can be vague, but most of the time you can figure it out.

This might help, though it doesn't have pictures.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?partName=Coil+Springs&pageId=0900c152800479da&partId=0900c152800479da
yea i have one of those haynes books, but its really very very limited on how to do it.... i want to get that program the mechanics have that goes on the computer or laptop, and tells you step by step directions and illustrations . My mechanic told me the program he uses... he paid $400 for a burned copy off ebay hahaaa... but all i need it for is 2 cars... My Caprice and my girlfriends 94 Acura integra hahaaa.. thats not worth $400... i can probably get it from Bit Torrent anyway ya know for free... lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Got the lowering springs off and put the stock impala ss ones on... and i took the 20's off the car and traded them also for a stock set of SS wheels in great shape, and a stock impala ss center console in excellent shape...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Got the lowering springs off and put the stock impala ss ones on... and i took the 20's off the car and traded them also for a stock set of SS wheels in great shape, and a stock impala ss center console in excellent shape...
damn took the 20's off huh well only u will know the comments u got from the difference in apperance but i guess u didnt really loose any money seeing as 20's are usually cheap on like craigslist , and the center consoles are hard to find in good condition

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
damn took the 20's off huh well only u will know the comments u got from the difference in apperance but i guess u didnt really loose any money seeing as 20's are usually cheap on like craigslist , and the center consoles are hard to find in good condition
Yea man, i pretty much did it for value ya know.... the stock ss rims are nice looking rims for me and worth so much money. People ask $600-$1000 witch is way outta control. So thats why I did it... Plus they have 4 brand new tires on it. The 20's just were junk. I was missing center caps, they were all curbed up, and I felt every single bump in the road with the low pro tires. Yea it did change the appearance quite a bit, but I am shooting for a stock look. I just got a 2 Inch Cowl hood for her too I am about to throw on.

So basically I made out like a bandit. I got 4 stock ss rims with center caps and brand new tires ( in excellent condition ) , a Mint condition SS center console, and stock Impala SS springs..... all for my Lowering springs, and my beat to hell 20's. I hate that look on my car.

I have some street trends stuff for sale if you are interested too.... Front bumper, back bumper, cat eye grill stuff like that

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
i like the cat eye grill but i wouldnt want the hood and the optispark is tempting to buy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts