Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone has ever put a stroker kit in 96 Impala SS from 350 to 383? If you have how hard was it and what all needed to be replaced?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your pretty much discarding the entire bottom end of the motor and running new crank , rods ( your old rods may or may not get reused ) , and pistons . Your block will need to be bored , honed , and ground a little to keep the goodies from hitting it in a couple spots . Lots of attention to detail during assembly .

Then of course its all the labor to remove and reinstall , and its going to need to have the supplemental parts and tuning for it to run right with in the car with the extra cubes and compression .

Most guys without patience , time , or skill just buy one , or have the original one done at a shop .

BTW , I am all for keeping the original numbered block in the car :biggrin:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would contact Advanced Induction for the best advice in stroker motors, and heads & cam. www.advancedinduction.com

I am buying my stroker kit, and heads/cam combo from them to do a 383 stroker.

You will hear a lot of different things, but I personally would stick with a 383 over a 396 stroker, a 396 has a lot higher piston speeds and this adds a lot of stress to the rotating assembly, causing you to require a lot more expensive parts. Callies makes a Compstar rotating assembly, with a steel crank, forged Mahle pistons, 6" rods, etc, etc. and it is real reasonably priced. Check with the guys at AI they can set you up.

Hope this has been of some help to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts