Impala Forums banner

Anyone have any success in removing big, ugly airbag warning labels on visors on 8th

4K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  jtrosky 
#1 ·
I absolutely hate those big, ugly warning labels on my visors!! Has anyone tried and been successful at removing them on the 8th gen Impalas (I have a 2012)? I woud love to try peeling them off, but at the same time, I don't want to ruin my visors or make them look even worse...

Another option would be to put another (less ugly) sticker over top of them:

Cover up your ugly airbag warning stickers

Although, I would *really* like to just remove them completely...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
I have read about it too - I know it involves a hairdryer but cannot remember much else.

#5 ·
Not sure how the 7th and 8th gens are different, but mine peeled off very easily and left no residue or faded spot, even after 11 years

#6 ·
I did some reading about this today, some opinions are that this voids warranty, and possibly Illegal, such as pulling tag from matress. Also that it may cause lower resell value.
These are all peoples opinions, maybe worth deeper research?
A jeep forum was talking about how in 2011 the stickers were hella stuck on(warped his visors then gave up), pre 11 it was easy removal. I know Chrysler has nothing to do with GM, just posting findings, also, camero forum had mixed results with removal.
But general consensus is that heat and patience gets it off. Hell one camero guy just inverted his mirrors so sticker was hidden.
Id like to try removing and placing in freezer for a while and see if that does anything beneficial, our work boxes with shipping/name labels in the freezer come off easily (although that's carboard)

#7 ·
Honestly, I'm not concerned with the legality or resale value - I don't plan on selling the car while it's actually worth a significant amount of money. However, if they tried to void my warranty because I removed a stupid warning label, I would definitely have a problem with that!! :)

But most importantly, I just don't want to ruin the visors... :) I'm just not willing to risk attempting the removal unless someone can confirm that they come off cleanly on the 2012. While I really dislike the stupid labels, I would dislike messed-up looking (or 'sticky") visors even more! And for what it costs to replace items like this, it's just not worth the risk, in my opinion.

Oh well, it was worth a shot to see if there was some "secret" to removing them cleanly! From what I've read, using a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive sounds plausible, but some of the posts that I read on-line said that you will stretch the material and may also have issues getting the adhesive out. Guess that I'll just have to live with them - or cover them up with an "Impala" logo from the site mentioned above - that's still an option, I guess...

Pretty soon, our dashboards will have big giant warning labels stating that cars can be dangerous... So annoying - I guess it's the world we live it now - everyone is so damn lawsuit-happy that car manufactures have to try and cover their butts with stupid warning labels... <sigh>

#8 ·
I've requested a sample of what a warning-label-cover with the Impala logo would like from the site I posted above. If I get a sample, I'll post it here. I'm thinking that it would look better than the ugly airbag warning label and would be completely reversible as well.

We'll see what they come back with...

#10 ·
They would be $14 or $15 for the pair. Not sure about shipping (but really, how much could it cost two ship two stickers!).

I think that the key will be the color combinations and the design in general. I don't want it to look like a sticker was placed over the airbag warning... ;-)

I'm thinking a black box with tan logs and a thin "frame" at the edges would the best in a "neutral" Impala?

#13 ·
Here is another site that selles covers made of plain material... Can't imagine that this would blend well, but they are sending me out a color wheel or something to see how it would match color-wise....

Sunvisor Labels

Keep us posted - ointersting concept - I am intersted if the material looks and feels like factory. They sell it by the sheets too - I have an idea - unrealted to this and I would really like to know how the product and your dealings are with them. They want $1.50 for a color chart, is that what you ordered?

#12 · (Edited)
Interesting. I personally would want something semi factory looking, classy, perferably with the leaping impala, in its oval shape, but to cover the rest of rectangular shape, a matching fabric look, and at only 2 or 3 variations of visor color, don't see it being too difficult. & they'll probably still want 6-7 $ to put it in a blue box
something like this but instead black, the tan or whatever color

#16 ·
I was actually thinking of making the main "box" black, just so I didn't have to worry about the tan being a perfect match... I think that with the black and tan interior, even a black box with a tan Impala animal logo in the middle (and possibly a tan frame on the inside of the black box as well) would still look much better than the stupid warning label... Hell, almost *anything* would look better than than big label!! :)

I think it's going to be one of those things that I'll just have to spring for and try - there really isn't any other way to tell what it would really look like in the car until you try it. For $15, I'm willing to take a risk...

#15 ·
Cool.

#17 · (Edited)
Hey guys - I'm finally getting back to this... While I did receive the "color chart" from that one company for cloth warning label covers, I really don't think that the color would match up right and that they would look silly. So, I think I'm going to try going with the other company that basically produces "stickers" that go over the warning label. Since I'm sure it would be tough to get the background color of the sticker to match the visor color perfectly, I think I want to try something like this instead (black backgroud with a tan Impala logo and a tan box around the Impala logo). I am *horrible* with graphic stuff, so I wanted to see if someone with more skills could help here so that I can send a good picture of what I want to the company. Here is my terrible representation of what I want! :)

I would like to get the Impala logo more "centered" (need more black area to the left of the Impala) and the logo colored in better - can someone help?

EDIT: Maybe make the logo a little smaller too?

EDIT2: Ok, well, I just checked their site and tan lettering/logo is not an option. Basically, the lettering/logo has to be silver or black. They do have a black on tan option, but like I said, I don't think the beige color would match my existing tan interior very well (don't know for sure). Maybe silver on black would be best? If someone could make a silver on black and a black on beige version of the graphic, that would be awesome!

Attachments

#19 ·
Thanks - the problem is that my visors aren't leather - they are cloth. The airbarg warning labels are on there so good that they actually look like they are part of the visor - I know they aren't, but I'm sure that they would be *extremely* hard to get off... Those warning labels are ridiculous - at the very least they could put them on the back side of the visors, maybe on top of the little door that covers the mirror - at least then we wouldn't have to stare at them 95% of the time! Plus, they would probably peel right off of the plastic doors on the visors!

#20 ·
FYI, I finally placed an order for some airbag warning label covers today (the "sticker" kind, not the cloth kind). I expect them to look similar to picture below. I had to go with silver-on-black (logo and border will be silver on a black background) since you cannot get beige-on-black (they do have a black-on-beige option, but I don't think the beige would match up with the beige color of the sun visors, so I didn't go that route).

Here is a link to where I ordered them - will be sure to post pictures when they arrive. Cost was $15.65 including shipping.

http://www.streamlinedesign.com/visor-graphics/

Attachments

#22 ·
Well, I finally "installed" these, but I'm really not sure if I like them... The labels themselves are of very high quality - I have no complaints about the quality of the labels themselves. I think that they are just too "obvious" looking since they are black labels on tan visors. But, at the same time, since my car has a lot of black on the interior, it doesn't look bad either... Still undecided on whether or not I'm going to leave them on (plus I made a few mistakes during the installation (which probably I will notice)...

I'm interested in hearing what others think - please be honest with your opinions!

Ignore the black marks on the silver parts - that is not there is real life - I think it shows up in pictures due to the reflective-ness of the silver parts and the camera flash... The silver parts are nice and silver in real life - no black marks!

Attachments

#24 ·
They do look like tv screens :lol:

1000% better than it was though

#26 ·
Thanks for the link - I have seen that one, but unfortunately, that process doesn't seem to work as well on the 8th gen Impalas. Apparently, the airbag labels are applied differently on the newer Impalas and just don't come off cleanly. Also, it seems to work better on leather visors, whereas mine are cloth. The warning labels covers that I installed have grown on me and I kind of like them now. I do wish I applied them better, but I can always buy news ones later (less than $15 delivered).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.