Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 impala with the 3.5 v-6. And it is dripping antifreeze from the engine and it looks like it is going into the oil also. Anybody ever have their gaskets go out? The car is at 106,000 miles.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
My car is currently in the shop for blown
Head gasket
Intake gasket
Rear main seal
Oil pan gasket

I was also loosing coolant and it was leaking from the head gasket and mixing into the oil.

My car has 94k miles and is under powertrain warranty thank god

When your water pump goes out it has a seap hole that purposely leaks coolant to let you know your water pump is shot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car is currently in the shop for blown
Head gasket
Intake gasket
Rear main seal
Oil pan gasket

I was also loosing coolant and it was leaking from the head gasket and mixing into the oil.

My car has 94k miles and is under powertrain warranty thank god

When your water pump goes out it has a seap hole that purposely leaks coolant to let you know your water pump is shot.
So, why are you getting all the other gaskets replaced?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Jaslo, please let me know if you would like me to contact your dealer for you at any point in your process! I completely understand that you prefer the DIY approach, but please feel free to send me a direct message anytime for further assistance.

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
i brought it into the dealership under the 100k mile powertrain warranty and they said all those gaskets were also leaking and needed to get fixed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found out that is the gasket by the water pump and that is such a common thing in the cars that the local chevrolet dealership keep them in stock, because they must get a lot of cars with this problem. The good news, n.o anitfreeze in oil

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found out that is the gasket by the water pump and that is such a common thing in the cars that the local chevrolet dealership keep them in stock, because they must get a lot of cars with this problem. The good news, n.o anitfreeze in oil
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but what gasket are you referring to? I seem to have a similar leak on my 06 Monte Carlo (the water pump area is wet, and the ac compressor is coated in coolant).

·
Crusoe Customs
53 Posts
Sounds like you my have a water pump going out. I would have a mechanic to take a closer look but usually when the pump starts to go it will leak to let you know

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
i brought it into the dealership under the 100k mile powertrain warranty and they said all those gaskets were also leaking and needed to get fixed.
I guess once you get those gaskets fixed, you will be parting out your Impala?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but what gasket are you referring to? I seem to have a similar leak on my 06 Monte Carlo (the water pump area is wet, and the ac compressor is coated in coolant).
They called it a crossover gasket. The part itself was cheap, the labor was not. If you can find someone else to do it besides a dealership, I would recommend you take it to them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Antifreeze Leak

I have to admit I am so disgusted right now with Chevy Impalas. I had a 2003 Impala that I gave to my son, and after spending $1,800 to have it repaired at an authorized chevy dealer, the engine blew less than a week later. So he bought my 2008 Impala and I bought a slightly used 2012 Impala. The 2008 has only 57,000 miles on it and he noticed anti freeze leaking so brought it in and of course, it's the head gasket and it's going to be another $1,800 to fix and once they pull it apart, who knows, could find that it's in the engine and entire car shot. Right now, just SO sorry I bought another Impala and will never buy one again. I mean really...all this at only 57,000 miles?? Ridiculous!

·
Registered
642 Posts
That is bad luck.. I hope that their diagnosis was right and it was not just the cross over gaskets leaking very easy to miss diagnose. When they leak it looks like a head gasket but it's not, but when the head gaskets are replaced those gaskets are replaced as well. I haven't seen a head gasket leak coolant yet, but if the leak was on the belt side - cross over gaskets are usually to blame - if on the transmission side - head gaskets are to blame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The part itself was cheap, the labor was not.
My '06 3.5L started smelling like antifreeze last year... replaced the thermostat, replaced waterpump but still the problem persists. Now the "stop engine" warning light comes on so we self diagnosed it as a blown head gasket. Dealership quoted over $2,000+ in repairs which is not realistic for me. Has anyone considered or has done the following: buy a used engine and do an engine swap? I would imagine it would be cheaper than tearing my engine apart and then trying to put it all back together.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts