Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Drinks Gasoline
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did search the forums, didn't find an answer...

Is there a practical way to read DTCs at home? I tried my Innova 3120 OBD-I/II scanner only to learn that it doesn't like '94 or '95 (mine's a '95) and I tried the jumper-A-to-B trick on the connector and it just made the fan run, the CEL did not blink, even to acknowledge no codes stored.

Any device, technique, or other suggestion would be appreciated.

·
aka IMPALER
3,174 Posts
Skip to about two minutes into the video:

IF you have a smartphone, this is a great option for you. I have a bluetooth connector that plugs into the OBD connector under the dash. Links up with my APP and i can read and delete all codes. Very convenient and useful. APP is only $4.99, not sure about the bluetooth connector (was a gift).

·
Drinks Gasoline
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I don't think that'll work unfortunately, my car is OBD-I, (12 pin connector) not OBD-II (16 pin connector). It wasn't until OBD-II that all automakers were forced into common-ish standards.

It used to be that one could jumper two particular pins together on the GM OBD-I connectors and a light on the dash would blink out codes. Worked on the '86 Trans Am I had, and that was a carbureted vehicle... Tried it on this car and all I got was spinning engine cooling fans. No lights, nada.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts