Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, this is my first post! i have an 04 base model impala with the 3.4. it was practically given to me by a little old lady. $1800 cash last summer. i purchased it to save on fuel and park my truck for a while. then fuel prices dropped.

now i'd like to make her a little more snappy. i just hit 140k and she runs like factory. what can i do to speed it up a little. do they sell a turbo kit? is it worth the money? should i just do a cai? what do you guys suggest? thanks in advance, jo.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
you can do a 3.5 top swap for a few extra hp, there are GA 3.4 turbo kits, you should be able to make one work w/ a little modifcation

IMO the 3.4 hp/$ really isnt worth modding.....

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hmm... no real mods unless you can get your hands on a period SS motor for it.:biggrin:

I'd just get a good tune up (new plugs & wires) and get a high-flow air filter. (K&N, Green, Specter etc)

I don't think there's much you can do with that engine, except rebuilding the top half like 04detroitls said.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys

thats what i was afraid of! oh well, i guess she'll be all show and no go. i polish it once a week and keep it out of the snow and salt. oil every 3k with mobil1. did the plugs and wires at 135k and add fuel injector additive (lucas) every other fillup. just tinted it last week and added the rims yesterday. shes clean and shiny, but average.

anything else that comes to mind, i'd appreciate knowing. oh yeah, should i do a cold air intake or just a k&n? or will that end up being both?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
make your own FWI and use either a RActive or K&N filter... save some $ ;)

get a tune

thats pretty much it, you COULD grab a bunch of suspension stuff for a little more "fun" while you drive ;)

Both BMR and GMPP make decent kits (depending on what you want to spend)
SSC Spring +AGXs and you have a totally differnt ride ;)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Banned
117 Posts
For alittle more pep in your step,

*Lower temp thermostat

*Home made or K&N CAI

*PCM reprogram

*Maganaflow cat converter PN#23433 $177.99 (Autozone price).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks man.

i'll check that out. time for new rims today. myself and two others fell into dpw trap this morning in springfield massachusetts. the road repair crew left a asphalt repair half finished with no cone or barrell. we all lost our passenger side tires and destroyed the wheels.

i'm the lucky one. the other two are a 2009 audi a5 coupe and a 2008 corvette. claims have been filed. one day on these rims!

i think i posted the pics. not sure if i did it right.

well thanks again, i'm off to research the fender intake.

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
wow sorry to hear about that dude. my buddy had a tire blow out & ruined his 18" wheel in fall river. i havent had a blow out & im keeping my fingers crossed! it is really ridiculous in mass with all the damn pot holes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts