Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I understand what the dexos thing is about. For curiosity I was up at Walmart and looked to see what company's folded to GM in order to put "dexos" on their oil.

From what I'm seeing, ONLY synthetic blend or synthetic oil has this on their bottles.

So now I take my car in for its first oil change. If the Chevy guy puts in "dexos" oil like it says on the oil filler cap, then it MUST be a synthetic. Am I right on this.

Now on my 2008 Impala I used Mobil 5000 oil (non synthetic). I was hoping to do the same on my 2015.

I don't care about the "free" change, just would like to furnish my own oil. So If I do this will using just Mobil 5000 (no dexos label) affect my warranty?

One more question guys. I have read somewhere on how "direct injection" is hard on oil. What has direct injection have to do with making your car use more oil? I'm baffled on this one.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Dexos oil has to be a synthetic blend at a minimum. In fact these newer cars come with a Dexos certified sythetic blend from the factory - the blend is mainly a cost saving thing - and is also what will be used for the free oil changes from the dealership (it's a mix of synthetic oil and "dino" oil).

And yes, technically, not using a DexOS-certified oil can affect your warranty. I don't know the technical reasons why direct injected engines are harder on oil, but they are - it's not really about how much oil they use though - it's just that you should not use "dino" oils in direct-injected engines as it's just not up to the task in direct-injected engines. The previous version of the 3.6L direct-injected engine (LLT) had timing chain issues related to oil change intervals that were too long as well.

Personally, I only use full synthetic oils in my 2012 - and always change the oil @ 5k miles max. Just the price you have to pay for the extra power provided by direct injection....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK.......

Settles that one. I will let the "Chevy Guys" do their thing. As long as I have documentation as to when and what they put in my car, no sense worrying.

Thanks for the reply.

Still love driving this thing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I stock up on Mobil 1 when the local farm supply place has it on sale along with a mail in rebate from Mobil (they offer this at least 3 times a year, so I'm never without). I put it in the trunk and have the dealer use my oil. I just pay for the labor and filter. I do it even for the free oil changes. I hold on to my cars for 13-14 years. So it's a small price to pay for the extra insurance of full synthetic.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I stock up on Mobil 1 when the local farm supply place has it on sale along with a mail in rebate from Mobil (they offer this at least 3 times a year, so I'm never without). I put it in the trunk and have the dealer use my oil. I just pay for the labor and filter. I do it even for the free oil changes. I hold on to my cars for 13-14 years. So it's a small price to pay for the extra insurance of full synthetic.

fleet farm.--watch for the 5 qt jugs at walmart
with deals, menards has quaker state full synth for 2.50 a qt after sales / rebates

·
Registered
219 Posts
We have Farm & Fleet here, but same difference. The only problem with a 5qt jug is these engines take 6qt. So you'd still have to pick up an extra bottle. So I usually just grab the 6qt case when the sale and rebate is on.

I know other brands can be had for less. But personally I stick with Mobil 1. My dad once said "If GM trusts it enough to put it in every Corvette engine at the factory, then it's good enough for my engines". So that's why I always stuck with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts