Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are you kidding me? This big car is going to have a naturally aspirated 190 HP 4 banger as the standard engine? With 20 inch standard wheels/tires? Good luck getting any performance (and mileage) out of this stupid combination. This is a big car. It should be offered with the same standard engine as now(3.6 liter V6). This is another ploy by GM to get more money out of people as most will opt for the 3.6 liter engine, which will now be I am guessing at least a $ 800 option. Keep it GM. This guy will not be buying one. I am tired of your price manipulations and price hikes and constant deletion of standard equipment. And above all, super cheap parts. Clear coated wheels that corrode. Interior door panels that come apart. Intermediate steering shafts and power steering pumps that clunk, groan, and whine. Lousy brake rotors that warp after 30k miles. Leather seats so poorly stitched together that I am ashamed to look at them.

Who the heck needs 20 inch wheels on 4 cylinder car? Or even a 6 or 8 cylinder car? Increased weight and rolling resistance to rob you even of the meager power and torque the base engine will deliver. And a "pleasant surprise" when a set of new tires will cost $ 800 instead of $ 400 for 16 inch ones. If someone must have 20 inch wheels, there are plenty of aftermarket choices.

I guess there will be $ 40k+ price tag on that new Impala LTZ? After all, GM actually put back the rear quarter panel Impala emblems which they so graciously deleted from the 2010+ models. Along with a piece of stainless trim deleted on the trunk for the 2012 models.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
I was under the impression the LTZ came with the LFX standard. Anyways, everything seems to be moving upmarket. Not sure where we will end up.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I won't be getting a 2014 or later Chevrolet Camry either. When my 2006 Impala starts giving me problems and I get sick of fixing them, I will be getting a Charger for sure. Chrysler quality has really gone up. And my Grand Cherokee is proof of that. :eek:k3:

·
Registered
222 Posts
An underpowered and overworked motor in a heavy car. WTF?

My wife loves our plain Jane 2012 LS, it even has the bench front seat that is better for her back. I did show her the photos of the 2014 and she said "they can keep it"

For a 302 HP direct injected V6, this car gets great highway fuel economy and decent enough city fuel economy. With power that will downright embarrass a ricer.

I only wish GM had kept some of the goodies that my folks had on their LeSabre, such as the DIC that allowed you to view real time coolant temp, oil pressure, etc.

Hopefully the 2014 Impala is a good seller for GM. We tend to keep our vehicles a LONG time, try +12 years, so this will be our daily driver into the future.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Impala and a 4 cylinder engine should never go together. You need at least 6 cylinders to power this car. I get that everyone wants fuel economy these days with the price of gasoline being so high, but they should have saved the 4 cylinder engines for the Malibus and Cruze. GM has some pretty stupid engineers.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
GM has apparently not learned from their past experiments. Sometime in the early 80's they installed a 4 cylinder 110 HP engine in Chevy Camaro and gave it an auto transmission. Suffice to say that this car so equipped was a joke and performance nothing short of dismal. The 4 cylinder engine was dropped soon after.

Another fiasco was a 6 cylinder engine with a 4 barrel carburetor offered in full size 1981 Cadillac. It put out something like 110 HP. This in an almost 6,000 lb car. Then, the infamous 8-6-4 experiment. At least the engine was a 6.0 liter V8, so with the system deactivated, it was adequate. And then came the ridiculous 4.1 liter, 125 HP aluminum V8 in 1982 Cadillac. Talk about an underpowered car!

Is GM about to repeat its mistakes of the past with the 4 cylinder engine standard in this 2014 Impala? Take a look at the similar size cars from other manufacturers, and show me one that comes with a 4 cylinder naturally aspirated engine as standard equipment. Let's see: Ford Taurus, Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maxima, Lexus ES 350, Mercedes E 350, Chrysler 300, Hyundai Genesis.

But then again, this "standard 4 cylinder engine" could be nothing more than a marketing ploy by GM to charge extra for the engine that should be standard equipment to begin with. If that's the case, this is very dishonest indeed. It is highly likely that most Impalas will be ordered with the 3.6 liter V6, for which the customer will have to pay $ 600 to $ 800 extra. Tricks like these will get a nicely equipped Impala LT way past the $ 30k sticker, and LTZ will be right around $ 40k.

·
Cucky
662 Posts
I hear you guys and feel the same way. But its not the engineers. Its the government and their bs. You realize that right? Forcing companies to start making cars that attain a certain mpg's and what not. You get it..

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I hear you guys and feel the same way. But its not the engineers. Its the government and their bs. You realize that right? Forcing companies to start making cars that attain a certain mpg's and what not. You get it..
Then GM should build a more fuel efficient V6.

·
Cucky
662 Posts
not being a smart ass Dave but its not as easy done as it is said obviously because they would have produced it if it was soo easy. They're making good progress if you guys haven't noticed from before.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Impala hybrid anyone?

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Ford did it...
Correct, they made a reliable, high out put V6 (365 HP) that gets decent gas mileage (17/26) even with AWD . GM HAS to get on board to compete.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
People were getting 30mpg with 6 cylinder motors in the 60's, why haven't we made any progress? That's what I want to know, I call BS on EPA regulations being the issue.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
I truly want them to get it together. My GM dealers are so much better than my Ford dealers and GM helps support my Town. I would love to dump the Lincoln when GM offers a competitive AWD 350+ HP product in a large car.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Look at Cadillac they have a supercharged v8 around 556hp
Turbo 2.0l 4 cyl at 272 hp
And the same v6 in the impala but pushin 321 hp

The ATS base engine is a naturally aspirated 2.5-liter I-4 gasoline engine that produces 202 horsepower (151*kW). Optional engines include a 2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 gasoline engine that produces 272 horsepower (203*kW) and a naturally aspirated 3.6-liter V6 gasoline engine that produces 321 horsepower (239*kW).[13] GM has committed to offering a diesel engine for the ATS, but has not specified an availability date.[14]
EPA fuel economy estimates for the 2.5-liter I-4 are 22 mpg city and 33 mpg highway. The 2.0-liter turbo I-4 is rated at 21 mpg city and 31 mpg highway when paired with the automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive, and 20 mpg city and 30 mpg highway with all-wheel drive. When equipped with the manual transmission, the 2.0-liter turbo achieves 19 mpg city and 30 mpg highway. The V-6 is rated at 19 mpg city and 28 mpg highway in rear-drive form; when equipped with all-wheel drive, the respective figures are 18 and 26 mpg.[15]

And then the camaro
The SS is powered by the 6.2*L (376 cu in) LS3 V8 producing 426*hp (318*kW) and is paired with a 6-speed manual. The automatic SS gets the L99 V8 with 400*hp (300*kW)

The 2012 ZL1 Camaro included a 6.2 L LSA supercharged V8 producing 580*hp (430*kW).

not only is ford doing it but gm can do it and just doesnt want to.
Just give us a turbo 2.0 for a base model
3.6l for a mid model with a turbo upgrade availible
and one of them damn v8's as a ltz option or ss standart option
and some rear wheel drive and all wheel drive options.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Get a 3.6lfx camaro put IPF supercharger on it 439 hp

1 - 20 of 90 Posts