Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My biggest complaint about my '01 Impala was the headlights. Not enough light from factory. I ran across and article how to bump up the lumens and now I'll share it with you.

Heres the link : http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/More_light.htm

So basically you remove the dipped bulbs ( 9006 @ 51W) and replace them with modified 9005 ( @ 65W.) It took me about 1/5 hr with a dremel to modify my 1st 9005 bulb and about 15 mins to mod the 2nd. I picked a bulb with a 4000K color , cause I'm not a big fan of those blue lights. The bulb itself has a slight blue color , but the light produced is a nice pure white. You can pick what color you want. 3000K = yellow 4000K = white 4500 = blue .....etc.

The article says it bumps up the lumens from 1000 to 1700 (which is 70% more light ! ) but I have yet to have ANYONE flash me their brights!
This was an extremely EASY mod. Just a dremel tool is all you need.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Be careful you're not overloading the wiring. Using higher wattage bulbs has been known to start fires when the wires get too hot, due to the new demands placed on them.

And who says 1/5th of an hour?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:icon_redface:

oops - meant to type 1/2 hr.

The high beam (65W) is right next to it and runs the same wire. So I was thinking that the low beam should handle it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ok, 1/2 makes alot more sense!

I would think 65 watts would be ok, but keep in mind the high beam is not meant to be continuously on, like the low beams are. Just keep your eyes on the wires and any signs of melting or overheating, immediately discontinue use. It would be nice to know the gauge of the BMW factory wiring compared to ours.

·
Registered
197 Posts
:confused:
You happy with them?
Happy with what? My HIDs? My headlights are custom. They use a hella h9 90mm projector. I upgraded to the HID for them as HIDs have a longer service life as the h9 bulb was originally designed as a high beam, and has a shorter life span. However the h9 bulb is the highest lumen producing automotive halogen bulb @ 2200-2500 lumens. the HIDs were only on average 700 lumens brighter. I lost some of the sharpness of my Cutoff, but do appreciate the extra 700 lumens.

I was just commenting on M's question about what BMW wiring looks like. Doesn't have to be big and hefty cause most run HIDs

·
Registered
197 Posts
What's funny about people's cars burning to the ground?

That's true. Not really a good comparison, is it. Are you running sstreetlights?
If you want to call them that. Mike Turner made them for me. RMS lights are different than RMW/Caprice/Impala lights, so they are the only ones in existence, and will be unless someone pays mike over $1k to build another set..

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you want to call them that. Mike Turner made them for me. RMS lights are different than RMW/Caprice/Impala lights, so they are the only ones in existence, and will be unless someone pays mike over $1k to build another set..
Ok, I knew the lights were different and wasn't sure if he offered them for the RMS or not. I figured there probably wouldn't be enough demand to warrant the work involved. One of these days I'd like to get me a set of those. I just wish he could have made a one piece design.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts