Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I bought the car 3 yrs ago, it was changed over to an alternator. Now since I've owned it, it has had some modifications ( air ride, retro radio, led lights). Since this I have had battery issues, after about 2 days it's dead. My air ride and radio are hooked up to toggle cut offs. So I be decided to upgrade my alternator to a 105 amp. Is there any thing I need to change or add? Or just replace, plug and go?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i would strongly suspect the LED's are causing the issue. if you just did a bulb replacement then try putting in some halogens and see if the issue goes away. i say this because a few of the newer generation impalas ran into this exact problem. i think one solution was to go with a reputable brand and or add a resister. i have not messed with them so i'm not a good source for exact answers but i know it has been discussed on these forums frequently under the 8th gen forums. particularly i read about battery drain from the reverse lights a lot.

you could try swapping them out in pairs to see which ones trigger the drain.

hope this help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I installed resistors. I am more concerned about the upgrade of the 105 amp alternator. Just curious if I need to do anything extra on it. Like add a diode to the pigtail, run a larger wire for charging the battery.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Pictures would help or even a part number of the alternator. I am assuming a 10SI alternator? I would assume that you have a 10ga wire on the battery terminal? You could upgrade to a 4-6ga to help with extra amperage.

Pat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts