Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two months ago, I started having issues with the battery charging system on my 2006 LTZ. I had replaced the battery in September. The power would start running low and then after about five minutes, everything would just kick back on and it ran just fine. This issues lasted about two weeks, about twice each week. Then it stopped for a week. One night, it happened again only this time it didn't kick back on and the car completely died. I charged the battery and tested the alternator and it turned out to be bad.

I bought a used alternator from a salvage yard that also was bad, so I exchanged it for another and got a 13.8 on the voltmeter when I turned over the car. But it died again anyway. I spent several hours going over everything, checking the leads on the battery, checking the cables, etc. I noticed the negative lead was loose so I tightened it and, after testing the again and getting 13.8 volts again, drove it around with everything turned on for forty five minutes and had no issues. It has worked fine for the last three days, until tonight.

On my way home tonight, the check battery charging system light came on again, the dash lights dimmed, fan slowed down and washer fluid stopped working. Then, right before I got home, the ABS and traction control light went on which it had done just before dying before. Fortunately, I made it home and as I turned onto my street, everything kicked right back on again with the dash lights bright and all. Battery light is still on though.

I've gone through two alternators so far, and before I go and buy a new one, I want to be absolutely certain that this is the issue.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Drake, would you consider going to a dealership regarding your concern? I realize many prefer the DIY approach, but I just wanted to let you know I'm available via private message if you would like me to work with your dealership at any point (to schedule an appointment or follow up on your concerns for you). Please feel free to contact me via private message anytime for further assistance!

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
13.8 is still pretty low, that alternator probably wasn't in very good shape either. Stop buying them from junk yards. And get that battery properly charged, and retested, you may have cooked it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
King is right. Also, I have dealt with an issue like this on a few different cars. The worst one that nobody could figure out (including dealer service techs) turned out to be a negative battery cable that was corroded where you couldn't see it. Terminals had been cleaned, but the corrosion was down the wiring under the isulation...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Rebuilt alternators from GM are not that expensive. I never buy used alternators from a wrecking yard, unless they come off a car with a few 1000 miles on it and I take it off that car myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts